Thread: Buy A New Computer

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Any good places or sites? I read a few sites from computer shopper:
    www.cyberpowerinc.com
    www.ibuypower.com

any others?
    and r the two above good? do they do refunds? customer service?...

and tell me if it's cheaper to build my own, then to buy a full package

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 August 2003 - 21:25
    and tell me if it's cheaper to build my own, then to buy a full package
    generally it's cheaper to buy components and build a system up yourself or get someone to build it for you.

if you are in the u.s. try Newegg.

if you are in the u.k. try eBuyer

there is a good pinned topic in hardware world with recommended parts manufacturers
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It truly is cheaper to buy a prebuilt system. These usually will include extras such as a monitor, printer, more software, etc. The drawback is they usually come with a licensed form of the O/S. This means you&#39;ll get a "restore" type of disc instead of the full version. Terrible for repairing problems with the O/S.
    These days prebuilt systems can be had for cheap and the hardware is pretty decent(i.e. AGP graphics, CD/DVD burners, large & fast HDs, DDR memory, etc.)

Building your own can be cheap if you already <s>downloaded</s> have the O/S, other software , monitor and any other hardware.

I think most people here will recommend you build one. That way you get the exact hardware you want. Plus it&#39;s a great experience.

Good luck with it, share on...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    another proble with pre-built systems is that a lot of them do not allow for future upgrading

recently, a lot of manufacturers have been including better parts, but some are still poor in this area
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    www.pricewatch.com

i ordered all my first parts from newegg...
    this is my second time around and im ordering it from pricewatch but newegg is still relatively cheap

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    thanks. the 2 sites i put there allow u to order a computer with blank harddrives, so u can install ur own software. They prices are relatively cheap, for prebuilt systems. u might check them out too