Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on my gaming rig please

Poster
    This will be my first computer built from scratch. Here are the components I am going to use:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    2x EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
    EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard
    Corsair Dual Channel 4GB DDR2 (2 x 2GB)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB

I need a recommendation for the power supply that can comfortably handle all this, as well as a case to fit it all. A cheap case that's ventilated. I don't like flashing lights and shit.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    This PSU looks interesting.

Cases are hard- everyone likes something different- but I've read good things about this one.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    That white text on black page killed my eyes... looks like a good PSU but not available yet. What's a good alternative?

Case looks like what I need.

Anything else I need to consider? I have mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers covered. Do I need heatsink or more fans? I don't plan on OC'ing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    That case does look nice clocker http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...481&cid=CS.664

Here is another one that does not seem to bad either http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...391&cid=CS.664

You are right about the psu quiksilver_aus there doesn't seem to be any Canadian links for it....Another thought I do notice Infonec has the older Bfg800 for sale , I know there customer service is pretty good you may want to call them and inquire about the availability of the newer Bfg es-800
    http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php...tail&id=352397

Damn cold in the GTA isn't it quiksilver_aus -10c

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_aus View Post
    That white text on black page killed my eyes... looks like a good PSU but not available yet. What's a good alternative?
    That's funny, I much prefer the white on black (all my forums are set to dark skins).
    I wasn't sure if that power supply was available yet...there's always my fallback recommendation here.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_aus View Post
    Case looks like what I need.

Anything else I need to consider? I have mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers covered. Do I need heatsink or more fans? I don't plan on OC'ing.
    No telling about the stock heatsink...I don't know of anyone who has actually used one.
    Mine is still a virgin, untouched in the Intel box.
    The Wolfdales have funky temp sensors and so far, no one seems to know what temps they are actually running.
    Gotta be cool because the running voltage is pretty low.

You might not plan on overclocking- I didn't either- but it's so damn easy to do you might find yourself tempted.
    Mine bumped from 3GHz to 3.6 with absolutely no changes at all and up to 3.8GHz with only a small voltage change (+.05v).
    It's very seductive...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Sure is cold.

This may be overkill for the system I am building, but TigerDirect (Canada) has this combo deal for 4GB Corsair RAM and Ultra X3 1000W PSU here. It's a pretty good deal for $300. What are your thoughts Clocker?

Oops, just realized I have been browsing the US TigerDirect site.
    Last edited by quiksilver_aus; 02-28-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I am leery of both Tiger Direct and Ultra PSUs.
    Too bad your choices are so limited.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    What are your feelings towards the CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 750-Watt Power Supply?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I have no feelings one way or the other but jonnyGURU might.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    How does this look http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...815&cid=PS.808
    I always compare the psu as the heart of your PC would you want a cheap heart One thing I also have noticed is if you get a good quality psu with higher amps and watts it will last thru a few upgrades...You can't say the same for most other components
    Last edited by accat13; 02-28-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast