Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: general question regarding private trackers

Demonoid was the biggest and more popular private tracker ever (it was my first private tracker). Its obvious that suck a massive source of ilegal material is going to be targeted first.
    What I really cant understand is why they closed Demonoid and Oink, while there are dozens of public trackers that transfer dozens of terabytes still working.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
    What I really cant understand is why they closed Demonoid and Oink, while there are dozens of public trackers that transfer dozens of terabytes still working.
    Because they were both targeted by the Major Anti P2P Groups. Both sites were on their radar. Most private tracker sites are not (At the moment). If I were an SysOp or admin, I would want it kept that way.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    How unsafe does it make it for the users on trackers like this?

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
    Because they were both targeted by the Major Anti P2P Groups. Both sites were on their radar. Most private tracker sites are not (At the moment). If I were an SysOp or admin, I would want it kept that way.
    I think Kyokushin was asking why the large public trackers were not targeted the way Demonoid and Oink were, considering the volume of material transferred over public trackers. Is it in part because of where the large public trackers are operated (i.e. jurisdictional reasons)?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Yinon's Avatar Pointless line BT Rep: +1
    I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before they start targeting other private trackers
    -------
    A bitme.org invite is highly welcomed (:

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Any action by the authorities against a tracker is to generate a lot of media hype and attention. This could work as free advertising for the tracker. For example- Danish TPB blockade did actually increase TPB traffic from that country, not reduce it.

Another factor why private trackers have survived so far maybe the so called hydra effect. Authorities were successful in shutting down Oink. But Waffles and What which were created immediately after shutdown (called oink's piglets) are functioning to date without trouble.

And of course, in some countries operating a tracker isn't illegal at all.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Innos's Avatar Poster
    a semi-private tracker like demonoid was closed ... but the pubilc tracker like mininova, TPB etc. ... NoT , how come ?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    a semi-private tracker like demonoid was closed ... but the pubilc tracker like mininova, TPB etc. ... NoT , how come ?
    The same thing that I asked a few posts ago, and that DarkLured responded. It's a matter of location.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    alfry1010's Avatar Be aware of the HD BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    the number of people is the key that why the privat tracker limit the number of user because more the user is more the server is load and more you attract the autority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yeah im not going to go with moxie, heard pretty bad things about them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast