Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: general question regarding private trackers

Why did demonoid get shut down but other excellent trackers don't? Do they do something that demonoid didn't?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    VIZFX's Avatar Looking at You! BT Rep: +2
    Key word here is "private." I can already tell that this is going to be a long thread.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I believe Demonoid was the largest (pseudo) private tracker, therefore it was targeted first.
    It's all a question of numbers.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well i "heard" and im not saying its true, that it was an internal matter between them and their hosts, thats why they closed up shop.

other trackers still use the same hosts Demonoid was on, and not all are totally private, Bitsoup does, and they are fine.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I suspected that is what happened, stoi. I thought it was interesting that Deimos indicated in what was basically his only communication about the future of Demonoid over at the SubDemon forums that he was having some issues finding a suitable host. Having donated to both, I realized there was something a little strange about that.
    Funny thing is, I was actually using Demonoid as the site was taken down, which was kinda cool, and I don't remember the message that first appeared, but the tone of it read as though the site was being pulled because the host was caving to legal pressure and they needed to find a new home for the tracker.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well i asked moxie hosting what happened to demonoid, and they said it was an internal matter. I thought demonoid was with moxie (tbh i never went to the demonoid site in my life lol) so im not 100% certain what host they were with, i do know it was canada though.

and do you think they have more cash then the MPAA/RIAA??

and thats news to me, didnt realise bitsoup and moxie were one in the same. actually are you sure as moxie told me they boght the servers for them and set it up for them (co-location) and they just sent them the cash.

this is the email i got from moxie

Demoind was a inside matter.

Nothing here in Canada has changed in regards to the laws

Currently sites of this nature are protected by freedom of information act
    so they are 100% legit

The issue is we do not stock the hardware you need.

We can purchase it on your behalf and invoice you for it but you would end
    up being a colo client.

This is what bitsoup and many other sites do they pay us to get the hardware
    set it up and run from there.

Let me know if this is workable for your needs
    Last edited by stoi; 02-29-2008 at 12:56 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    As far as i know Demonoid's ISP was threatened by CRIA and their ISP was not Moxie. In fact, Moxie's stand on threats by Anti Piracy organizations is said to be tougher (or so they say).

Anyway inferno.demonoid.com came back online several days ago from Malaysiya as you may know so we can all hope that it's a sign of Deimon's return.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Well,I would call Demonoid a "private" tracker.

It's what you call a "Semi-private" tracker.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Definitely semi-private(But publicly known). I remember Deimos stating that he had some personal problems and couldn't both deal with that and the fact that the host company their with, wouldn't fight on their behalf if the CRIA (RIAA Canada) intruded. Which they obviously have. Plus Demonoid is so big and popular, that it is on almost all the Major Anti P2P Groups Radar(If not all by now). Unlike most small private trackers that are not. Even though some probably are, and US as the public, don't or will not know that. Unless your a SysOp or Admin of course.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Definitely semi-private(But publicly known). I remember Deimos stating that he had some personal problems and couldn't both deal with that and the fact that the host company their with, wouldn't fight on their behalf if the CRIA (RIAA Canada) intruded. Which they obviously have. Plus Demonoid is so big and popular, that it is on almost all the Major Anti P2P Groups Radar(If not all by now). Unlike most small private trackers that are not. Even though some probably are, and US as the public, don't or will not know that. Unless your a SysOp or Admin of course.
    At least Bitsoup is under the radar. It was in leaked MediaDefender Mails.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast