Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Cheaters

BANNED BT Rep: +1
    After reading this thread :
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...cheater-281415

It got me wondering when trackers will put an end to all these "cheaters." Will there be a time when torrent sites have all their users with legitimate ratios?

I met this guy a few weeks ago through someone well known here on the board, and I made the mistake of inviting him to one of my favorite sites. After talking to him for a few nights, he slowly revealed to me that he uses a program to spoof his ratio on all of his sites. I got to know him pretty well, he told me all the methods he uses to cheat and not get caught like a drunk man at a bar. I won't mention these for obvious reasons, but he is smart and knows everything about tracker anti-cheating scripts. I look at his ratio on the tracker I invited him on, and it makes me angry to know he achieved it by spoofing data when someone like me paying 60$/month for a seedbox is seeding files back to people on a daily basis. I've thought about informing the staff, but that would put my account at risk and what good would it do when they have no proof?

What does everybody think about ratio cheaters? Obviously the normal people get caught, but the smart one's go unnoticed ... which leads me to believe that there is no way to stop the spoofing of data.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    i think that it will stop the seconed trackers only look at the seedtime and not the amount of data a user can upload it is a very unfair system for users with slow upload speeds it's been working on ftn fsc and even bcg for while now with great success(i can only talk about bcg from my experience)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    tusks's Avatar ¯\(°_o)/¯ BT Rep: +1
    Cheating is basically pointless in my opinion. I get a genuine satisfaction of seeding data and waking up in the morning and seeing that I've given back to the community and other people will be able to enjoy the same content. Some people just want everything for nothing and they'll even disrupt the natural order of things to get it and eventually the dumb ones will get caught and the smart ones will persist and there's very little we can do about it. On a brighter note, their reckless leeching does increase the ratios of those legitimate users who downloaded the content and need to seed data back in order to keep a good ratio.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    threads like these will bring more negative results

the more you talk about cheaters' success the more you encourage other members to try to cheat

captain jack sparow was cheating in his movies also, but you I see him on your ava

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I think in the same way as Totti... but the solution is different imho: when all the ppl on slow pipes will be banned from accessing high level trackers...

at that point the ratio will be no more needed ... as everybody on 100mbit / gbit can seedback every torrent in less then 1hour

and no need to overseed for 36hours

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    if you think BCG doesnt have any cheaters think again. they do it so they dont have to wait the 3 days to get SP, people are very greedy and thats basically the crutch of the matter, Greed.

Obviously you get the stupid ones, uploaded 10 gig in 10 seconds that are easy to spot, and then you get the harder to catch ones.

But we keep a record of every announce on every torrent, so its not hard to look at someones history and see if they are ok or a cheat, problem is with 47,000 members and only a handful of staff, its hard work. well not hard, just time consuming.

so even if you have no ratio and only a timefor seeding, they still dont want to wait the time for seeding, or they want PU/SPU so they still bloody cheat.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by yayyyyyy View Post
    I think in the same way as Totti... but the solution is different imho: when all the ppl on slow pipes will be banned from accessing high level trackers...

at that point the ratio will be no more needed ... as everybody on 100mbit / gbit can seedback every torrent in less then 1hour

This is "web racism" at its best!
    Now seriously, as part of a member in a group that have lousy ISPs and can not afford the the luxury of a seedbox just for sharing, I try out to find creative solutions in order to become/remain part of the communities that i appreciate and enjoy. An example is to replace the seedbox expense by investing in big storage and seeding for a long while...
    I find your comment really offensive and ugly. In my opinion it is against the whole sharing principle... Having to post my speedtest is humiliating enough!
    As someone who has been part of this communities long before the big bittorent rush (The "sharing woodstock" as i'd like to call it) I just hope that tracker owners and staff will maintain the old spirit and find better and creative solutions in order to fight with this epidemic.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by sagib View Post

Now seriously, as part of a member in a group that have lousy ISPs and can not afford the the luxury of a seedbox just for sharing, I try out to find creative solutions in order to become/remain part of the communities that i appreciate and enjoy. An example is to replace the seedbox expense by investing in big storage and seeding for a long while...
    I find your comment really offensive and ugly. In my opinion it is against the whole sharing principle... Having to post my speedtest is humiliating enough!
    As someone who has been part of this communities long before the big bittorent rush (The "sharing woodstock" as i'd like to call it) I just hope that tracker owners and staff will maintain the old spirit and find better and creative solutions in order to fight with this epidemic.
    but we do and they still bloody cheat, and its not just those on poor upload either, even those that have a decent upload try to get away with it.

we even had an uploader that cheated on his own uploads (2 in fact) seeding at 600KBs when there was no peers, now how bloody stupid can you be.

now that wasnt for promotion, as you cant get any higher than uploader, and a great ratio will never make you staff just for that.

it just boggles the mind sometimes the things we see.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

This would only increase the number of cheaters. They will actively search for workarounds for this type of ban. And this time they will have a reason.

Not all countries have the infrastructure to support high speed upload bandwidth. It's not the fault of the users is it?

Anyway it sort of makes file sharing limited to some elite class of users, which would suck donkey balls.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sagib View Post

but we do and they still bloody cheat, and its not just those on poor upload either, even those that have a decent upload try to get away with it.

we even had an uploader that cheated on his own uploads (2 in fact) seeding at 600KBs when there was no peers, now how bloody stupid can you be.

now that wasnt for promotion, as you cant get any higher than uploader, and a great ratio will never make you staff just for that.

it just boggles the mind sometimes the things we see.
    In my opinion, a big part of the problem is the strong competition and lack of sharing between the trackers...
    Im not an owner nor a stuff, but as a user it seems to me that the only place that you guys really share your knowledge is forums like this one.
    Again, as a user it seems that there is a big difference between the security measurements and implementations and i was wondering when was the last time you recieved (or gave) a tip, patch or briliant implemnetation suggestions directly to one of your fellow owners? (And i am not talking about TBDEV, etc...)
    I really mean no offense and will be more than happy to be stand corrected and discover that these are just my handful clueless thoughts but in my opinion, the great competition over the prestige is a big part of it...

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast