• Yes

24 34.29%
  • No

46 65.71%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is BCG SP system, a Freeleech System

grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by fsephie View Post
    I would absolutely consider BCG freeleech under those rules. It's like other sites where you have to seed for a period of time, only that there are more rules concerning how long you have to seed for. I think people don't mention it because it's a little bit more complex than other systems and thus would take longer for someone to describe.
    Tend to agree. But you still have to wait 3 days on that particular torrent. Even though I'm still really new to BCG. SP system is a little complexed and under disguise cause it's not called "The Freeleech system". Members tend to love the words "Freeleech" and "Double/Triple Upload".
    Last edited by grimms; 02-29-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    That doesn't seem like freeleech at all. I only consider freeleech to be NOT counting download, but counting upload, whether or not there are additional seeding rules re: time/ratio. Freeleech is like a special on a fine restaurant's menu.

Further, I don't think an upload only reporting system really qualifies as freeleech, because there is never a period where leeching costs you anything.

So, the BCG ratio system is good because it keeps older torrents active and helps out those who either have a poor connection and/or grabbed something at the end of its peak (or well after). But I don't think it counts as freeleech just because there are incentives in terms of a download credit.

I'm not a member, so if I misunderstand something about the system, correct me and I'll fit it into my argument.

And stoi, I saw a screenshot of the site somewhere around here and it looks likes its got a really nice design. Plus all your members rave about it, so if they don't even have to mention this system, I guess it isn't what makes the tracker so special (which seems like a very good thing).
    Last edited by dunson; 02-29-2008 at 01:09 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    edited the 1st post with our newbie guide to the SP mod, just for those that are not members, or who are and still dont know how it works lol

i have also added it to our tracker review as well, so this doesnt get lost in the depths.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-29-2008 at 01:16 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Well I'm not a member there yet, but for what the guide explains it is a "mercyful" system for those who don't have a fast connection or a seedbox.

But if I understood correctly, you still have to seed the torrent for an amount of time unit it reaches a 1:1 ratio in order to get the SP feature started.
    If you remove the SP system from the equation, what you have? FTN

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I see why it isn't mentioned often. It's a bit complex, but very intricately designed to encourage seeding (not leeching). I definitely think this is a good idea that very clearly focuses on seeding and is always in place to help those who have some trouble seeding torrents back fully. It also extends the life of torrents greatly, I'm sure.

Freeleech-a specially marked file where download is not counted-is designed to encourage people to download files, either to check out a Movie of The Week or to download a largish file without ratio concerns (which is obviously influenced most by download amount, mathematically).

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well FTN doesnt count download, we do.

lets say you have 1 gig downloaded and 26 gig uploaded. you have a 26 ratio.

you download a 24 gig PS3 game, and get SP to bring it up to a 1 ratio

you then have 25 gig downloaded, 50 gig uploaded, so you now have a global ratio of 2.

so your global ratio has plummeted, so that to me says its not realy free leech, as your global has gone down drastically.

but on the other hand SP can help as well.

lets say you have 10 hit and runs, those differances add up to 40 gig. when you use sp to clear them, your dl doesnt go up (as they are already downloaded) but your uploaded increases by 40 gig on your global, which in turn gives you a lot better ratio than you had previously. and SP has done the work for you (if there is no leechers on those 10 hit and runs.)

in reply to dunson, it does encourage leeching, and members shouldnt be scared to download a torrent that is a year old or more, as they will get at least a 1:1 ratio on it anyway.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Actatoi's Avatar 2+2 is 5 if I say so BT Rep: +2
    I voted no but I would say that it's very close to beeing freeleech, yet you can't hit and run so I would say it's better then freeleech. Looks like a good system you got going on there.
    What an ordinary day, the extraordinary way.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Ah, that clears it up a bit more. I see what you mean about encouraging leeching in the long run. Point taken.

I still think it is different than a freeleech system, because it really focuses on seeding and maintaining a proper ratio. The download amount will still be taken into account, but you're giving upload points to offset the high S/L ratio or the user's low up speed.
    Last edited by dunson; 02-29-2008 at 02:26 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19

Cool

Voted yes. Once you get rid of all the numbers it's essentially "freeleech" + a time based system.

It's a good system, if a little overcomplicated. A purely time based system would have the same result.
    Imagine a torrent site as a human body.
    Staff provide the brain, members the soul, uploaders the muscle, all working together within the body itself.
    And yes, the body has to find a way to survive, and if the soul is strong enough to provide for itself, it will survive and prosper.
    On the other hand, if you have to start pimping your body then you're in a bad way, your soul is weak and you're liable to catch something...

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    in a way yes, in a way no lol

seed for 72 hours and you get a 1:1 simple really.

ours has the 20:1 ratio, and tries to get members to only seed a few torrents at a time, hopefully making speeds on older torrents, faster.

800 seeders - 700 leechers, time based would get you there in 72 hours.

800 seeders - 700 leechers, you would not get any sp on it even after the 72 hours, as it has not got a 20-1 ratio.

you would need

800 seeders - < 39 leechers to begin earning SP on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast