Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Core 2 Duo E8400

Aerozin's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Wich u choose?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I did choose the e8400.
    Not convinced of the utility of four cores right now but then again, Microcenter is currently selling them both for the same price- $199- so it's a more difficult decision than when I got mine.

The e8400 is an overclocking superstar, so I'd probably still opt for it and just figure on going quad in a year or so.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Correct me if I'm wrong but some people may not have a choice e8400 45 nm vs q6600 65 nm....It may depend on what your board supports...I know my board only supports 65 nm

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Since this is a close one and one CPU can out perform the other varying on the application, the first thing would be to determine which apps are you gonna be using?

In general, i would go with the E8400 since it outperforms the Q6600 in most of the standard application (if you are not into video editing...), heats less and costs less (at least here).

Give me a shout if you need a second opinion. Best of luck!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I agree with sagib, know what you're going to be doing. Most applications (games included) don't support quad cores right now, so the the only benefit right now would be the ability to run multiple process intensive apps, each on their own core (or pair of cores).

Previous statements aside, I'd chose the e8400 for its superior speed, overclockability (is that a word?). But that's just me.

Also, this page might help

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    easy decision.. what u wanna do?

get the q6600 if u wanna do lots of video editing and/or HD playback.

get the e8400 if u are gonna game.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I too have the E8400 and as Clocker said it's a great chip! but I am actually ordering the Q6600 today to compare in a few days Ill post my personal opinions and Ill run some tests and shit on both to post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by accat13 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but some people may not have a choice e8400 45 nm vs q6600 65 nm....It may depend on what your board supports...I know my board only supports 65 nm
    I would imagine that to be true you should always check if the board supports the chip IMHO. ATM I have the GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6

and I am liking it very much so far

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13 View Post
    I'll bet that many boards will get BIOS updates to handle the 45nm chips pretty soon.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Damn this site decisions, decisions new cpu ,new board (from what I read my board is doomed to never have a 45nm update ) ,new video card ..which one will it be...Not much of gamer so it really becomes a difficult decision. The 8800gt sure looks nice with the impending price drop on the horizon ..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I know what you mean I keep upgrading but where does it end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast