Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: issit possible to torrent in colleges in the states?

i might be going to the states to complete my college studies. i torrent pretty heavily locally. was wondering if i could continue when i moved over. i know of some friends who've gone abroad to study and their campuses restrict downloading or uploading, so they had to stop torrenting completely.

also, pardon me if it's a noob question but issit cool if i stop torrenting here and start there? will the ip changes and all that give me problems with the trackers resulting in bans etc?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yeah, it just depends on the college. You can still get around restrictions if you have the right setup going. No biggie.
    See ya in another life, brother.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    it'd be the first time living there myself for a period of time so i'd probably spend the first year on campus or smt before i find an apartment. that's a long time to go without torrents if i can't get around it like you mentioned heh. what did you mean by the right setup anyways?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    We'll when i mean setup I mean using various methods of getting around there restrictions. The simple rc4 encryption setting is good for most places, but you may have to do more advanced things to how you connect to the network. Or you may have to just use a proxy. There's a few threads that tell you more about beating university restrictions floating around FST. Click the link on my sig to find those.
    See ya in another life, brother.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    singing_sol's Avatar ftn lover!!! BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I had this Dbout too but i don't think so becoz it might get deleted becoz of the IP changes and yeah might work if u contact the sites staff and ask them of the IP changes and try to tell them about speed tests that might help u of the IP Address

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by singing_sol View Post
    I had this Dbout too but i don't think so becoz it might get deleted becoz of the IP changes and yeah might work if u contact the sites staff and ask them of the IP changes and try to tell them about speed tests that might help u of the IP Address
    before i go over, if i do, i'll make sure i'll let all the staff know about it lol. so i don't get banned for multiple IP or cheating or whatever crap there is out there. i mean, there's got to be a way right, i'm sure ppl move apartments at that, although changing countries might be a little less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    We'll when i mean setup I mean using various methods of getting around there restrictions. The simple rc4 encryption setting is good for most places, but you may have to do more advanced things to how you connect to the network. Or you may have to just use a proxy. There's a few threads that tell you more about beating university restrictions floating around FST. Click the link on my sig to find those.
    i think encryption just masks the packets u're exchanging right? if you can't download in the first place i don't think encryption's going to do much good.

glad to hear there're threads about beating uni restrictions. i did click on your sig, but all it pointed to was the bittorrent invites subforum.
    edit: okay so your idea was to use search.. lol.
    Last edited by athenaesword; 03-04-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    It depends on your ISP @ College, Mine was fine @ China.
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    depends on your college.

the college i go to has restriction (i think 3 GB of bandwidth per day) but still couple of my friends manage to torrent. They have to use public torrents though, that way they can limit the upload and save their bandwidth just for download. However, there is another college nearby my house, they give unlimited bandwidth...and the speed is pretty good as well.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    anyone from michigan ann arbor or berkeley california?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    It all depends on your school. Read their rules and policy's on internet usage. I know some colleges now ban all use of torrents. It would suck to go to a school where they don't allow torrenting, then all your accounts may get auto pruned (Especially if you stay on campus). Make sure to ask about their internet policy before you enroll. Paying $40k and no internet?= to me.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast