Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Customizing Win Xp

Poster
    nah better get it from neowin. better one

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Enigma2003@5 August 2003 - 00:01
    hey everyone, thanks for all the replies, i decided on style XP and i went to theme XP to look for some themes but they dont seem to be as good as the skins on wincustomize.

what sites do you guys get your skins from?
    Just type "Style XP themes " in to google or any other search engine..thats bound to bring up results

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ricochet@5 August 2003 - 03:34
    The patch is the only way to go. you can get it here This way you dont have to install another program...
    is there any problems to be had using this?

use at your own risk
    is it stable or...?
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    I&#39;ve found it to be stable- No problems whatever. Once it&#39;s done, that&#39;s it. You simply select your themes or visual styles with desktop properties.

Do make sure you follow the instructions, particularly regarding any dialogue boxes that windows might throw at you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    thanks, i may give it a try
    <insert signature here>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Well in reality whether someone should go for either StyleXP or the patch depends on whether they also wish to customise the login theme* as well.

If you don&#39;t want to change it, then you might as well go for the patch; you&#39;re not going to need another program for that so why bother?

However - If you also want to change the login, you can either do it manually via safe mode or you can get a program to do it automatically without needing to go into Safe Mode and overwriting system files. If you go the manual route you can still stick with the patch and not need another program...but you&#39;d need to follow & understand the method fully to get it right without cock-ups. Or you can just get a program to do it and cut the time & hassle to about a quarter of the Manual route.

Now let&#39;s assume you follow the Software route - The most popular login customisation software so far is Logon Loader. If you use that with the patch, it&#39;s kinda eliminating the original idea of the patch by adding another program on - Hence you end up with two things (LL and the patch). Or you could just get StyleXP, and be able to change the visual style & the login theme safely in one software.

But like I said, what you should go for is dependant on how much you want to customise :-
    • Visual Style Only - Get the Lightwave patch
    • Visual Style + Login - Get StyleXP

*"Login Theme" is used for the collective of the login screen and the Welcome & Powerdown screens. So it doesn&#39;t matter whether you don&#39;t see the login when you power up your PC - You&#39;d still see it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@ 6 August 2003 - 16:42
    Well in reality whether someone should go for either StyleXP or the patch depends on whether they also wish to customise the login theme* as well.
    If you want to change your log on just get Logon Loader. Nice little freeware app that only runs when you boot.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by liquidacid@6 August 2003 - 17:04
    If you want to change your log on just get Logon Loader. Nice little freeware app that only runs when you boot.
    Maybe I&#39;m seeing things, but didn&#39;t he already say that in his post?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+6 August 2003 - 20:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 6 August 2003 - 20:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-liquidacid@6 August 2003 - 17:04
    Maybe I&#39;m seeing things, but didn&#39;t he already say that in his post? [/b][/quote]
    I did - And I made a point about it.

If you&#39;re not going to read the whole post LA, why even bother to dispute it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123