Thread: NIN Confirms Uploads to Public and Private Torrent Sites

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The acceptability of P2P took another big step forward over the weekend, as accounts claiming to be ‘the official profile for NIN’ appeared on a number of torrent sites, including The Pirate Bay and the private trackers What.cd and Waffles.fm. NIN has now confirmed that these accounts indeed belong to the band."

"The account that was used to upload the torrent, linked to in yesterday’s piece, was from a user called ‘NINofficial‘, and included a text about the release. Similar accounts, named NIN, appeared on the private music trackers what.cd and waffles.fm on Friday, and uploaded the same torrent.

Uploads to torrent sites, claiming to be from the owners of the material are not unheard of, but are also not common. When it has happened, it’s been to public sites, and generally a hoax, which makes people all the more wary when accounts appear, claiming to be ‘official’ or from the people behind it.

However, TorrentFreak has verified that the accounts in question, ‘NIN’ on both waffles and what, and ‘NINOfficial’ on The Pirate Bay, are indeed accounts belonging to the band’s representatives."

Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    idk if this article is true or not, but trent reznor is basically uploading the first volume of his new album and practically giving the rest of it away. it's 36 tracks total on 2 cd's for $10. that's awesome, but on the same note it's ONLY an instrumental album. me, i like the music, but won't be listening to it too much for i NEED lyrics to fully enjoy. i have the first volume and it's good. i like it. GREAT for when ur comatosed in front of ur pc and just need some music to stay in la la land.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Good to see that they're not completely in it for the money.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Jdsnut's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'm glad to see that people are not just in making music for the money.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdsnut View Post
    I'm glad to see that people are not just in making music for the money.
    idk 'bout u, but if my job was to make music i'd want to get paid 4 it.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I don't think many of you fully understand what he is doing. Trent has been speaking out against the music industry as a whole for a long time now. Go check out various blogs and stuff, even regarding the OiNK shutdown. He said a long time ago that they just wanted out of their contract, so it would be about the art of the music and the fans once again.

If you go to the official Ghost website, you will notice that this is online prerelease before releasing the album. This is a prerelease service for the fans, who can preorder and then get it right away. Also by not overcharging for the album, like any distribution company would do, he keeps the consumer happy. If you look at the pricing there, you can see for yourself that it's quite reasonable.

Releasing it on a CreativeCommons license helps get the music out. People that will buy the album anyway, will just download it of their favorite site and then wait for the CD release date. This also saves bandwidth costs for the band. People that would not buy the album anyway, will get it eventually anyway, something any musician is aware of but far too many choose to ignore. These people might not even hear the album if it wasn't for filesharing. To them it would never have existed.

It's all about the music and the fans. Getting paid to do something you love is a bonus.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 03-11-2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Lack of research led to an untrue statement
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    another slap on the face of RIAA

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I Trent, but I love his music more.

"What I WANT to do is crawl inside my own head and just make music."

He understands what he is doing. He wants to throw his music out there and create press interest, which he has accomplished. He understands that people will download it and listen to it. Keeping his fingers crossed, he's hoping that the majority like it and some might even pay for it. In the end though, the guy is fulfilling his deepest passion which is creating music. If he can earn a few bucks along the way, even better!

Now that he's cut all ties with labels and he's more or less out on his own, I expect great things from him. I've always expected great things from him and he's always delivered, but he is an ever-moving machine of brilliance and the best is yet to come.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    I Trent, but I love his music more.

"What I WANT to do is crawl inside my own head and just make music."
    +1, good quote too.

Trent has always been an innovator, going against the grain. I really respect that about him and the direction he is taking with music distribution. I haven't bought music in over 5 years but I will be supporting NIN through his website. Also, Live Beside You In Time was excellent in HD.