Thread: "Piracy is Caused by Poor Choice"

Jdsnut's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    A study released today in the U.K. says that piracy is caused by lack of choice in a person. This has been told before but not in a study. The study also goes to state that over one third of U.K. citizens download pirated content. This study also goes on to say that over 68% of people are not afraid of if they get caught as well. That some people do it cause they can get what they need from the makers of the content.

To read the full story go to:

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-is-ca...choice-080305/

Normal People IRAA MPAA
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 03-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    “A study”, “A new poll”, “A simulation”…. I’m tired of hearing all this. There is always someone trying to find an exact answer or a reason for something. Poor choice? I’d say Piracy is caused by a smart choice. For example, why subject myself to a $50-$60 game or a $20 CD that I might hate (or it’s just pure crap) and I cannot return?

I’ll sample a taste and if it truly lives up to my standards then I may put some money down for it. Downloading and pirating is cheap, it’s easy, and it’s convenient. The sooner entertainment industries realize this the better off we’ll all be. I think we all know who is making the poor choice here.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Jdsnut's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The sooner the better my friend.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    tusks's Avatar ¯\(°_o)/¯ BT Rep: +1
    The entertainment industry has been feeding off of the consumers poor choices for years. Now that there's a tiny dent in their revenue made by piracy they can't understand why the consumer suddenly got smarter so they're saying we must be getting dumber.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Indie labels will become more and more prominent as the big record labels keep pumping out mindless garbage.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    “A study”, “A new poll”, “A simulation”…. I’m tired of hearing all this. There is always someone trying to find an exact answer or a reason for something. Poor choice? I’d say Piracy is caused by a smart choice. For example, why subject myself to a $50-$60 game or a $20 CD that I might hate (or it’s just pure crap) and I cannot return?

And go out of your way to give them that money. It'd say if it was atleast as convient to purchase stuff as to pirate stuff, there'd be quite a bit less piracy. Personally I'd buy some things sometimes - but I'm not going out of my way to give money for something when I can get it easier for free.

(Image stolen from Kyokushin)

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    $we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Downloading and pirating is cheap, it’s easy, and it’s convenient. The sooner entertainment industries realize this the better off we’ll all be.
    Looks like someone is trying to justify his crimes.
    Last edited by $we; 03-07-2008 at 02:22 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    In my country piracy is caused by every game/movie being $150...

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by $we View Post
    Downloading and pirating is cheap, it’s easy, and it’s convenient. The sooner entertainment industries realize this the better off we’ll all be.
    Looks like someone is trying to justify his crimes.
    Actually that's incorrect it's a realization of what the industry is competing against which is something they have failed to do people are getting things for free from other people they know. The industry thinks they can sue their customers without repercussions and that everyone's going to be ok with it and that's my no means correct it only infuriates people more to continue their actions and in fact increase them.