Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench is having a baby

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I can't speak for everyone, and the reasons to dislike it vary a bit, I think, but this is a few ways to look at it:

When it was created the invite section was billed as place where we, the members then, would be able to trade invites with people we trusted.

I think rossco did mention that those kinds of sections also could attract new members, but the primary reason for making it was so people who were already around would have somewhere to do it, as far as I could understand it. I wasn't exactly overjoyed about it to start with as whatever invites I've had to stuff I could already give to people I knew, in the lounge, on other boards or IRL, but I guess that could have worked.

What actually happened was that about a zillion new people we didn't know or trust joined just to trade invites. A great deal of them are hardly even capable of communicating in english, making it impossible to get to know them, and a great deal more would take to spamming useless crap all over the board just to get into the invite section, to the detriment of threads all over the place.

There's always been people like that, but the really useless posters multiplied by ten, easily, when the invite section came into play.

So what we have now is a section full of strangers who just can't contribute with anything worthwhile anywhere on the board, and lots of idiots too. Like the one who made a thread trying to justify calling israelis names on the board, or that wanker squirrel. Or the heaps of people posting "I win" or something in the $20-thread, or the ones who like to come in here between peddling their crap only to piss people off and post more crap.

Meanwhile telling people we do trust we have some invites to whatever isn't allowed in the lounge now, so if we officially wanted to give away or trade invites to our friends, we should, technically, either have to pm all of them, go elsewhere, or have to post in the invite section, which would mean that a bunch of people who can't read would fill any thread like that with questions about whether they could have an invite, or just go "good offer" and "+1" and so forth, I expect. And should a member who's actually been around for a bit, but who haven't got any bt-rep or whatever the fuck still try asking for invites in there, you get idiots running them out of the section 'cause they aren't known in the invite-section, like what happened to that poor naive sod last month. But the place is a fucking mess anyway, so I would never even bother trying.

And to compound the issue it seems easy enough for anyone with a bit of patience to obtain invites to any tracker on offer in there, all you have to do is buffer up a couple of accounts somewhere easy and slowly build your way up. All you have to do, really, is show off your ratios and some people will end up giving you invites in the end. It doesn't seem as if people actually need to know each other, and it's no longer people who trust each other 'cos they are friends who've known each other for ages or something. Then there's the account-trading. Not to mention that a fuckload of the invite-section people have their seedboxes which usually make buffering up even easier. And when you get a shitload of people on a tracker jumping on every torrent to buffer up their account it makes it harder for people with slow connections to keep their ratios up, as someone else will have uploaded to everyone much faster. And it's not impossible they'll be doing it just to build up their ratio so they can show it off, and then get better invites.

And on top of it you sometimes get veritable arsekissing-orgies 'cos a bunch of smarmy cunts seem to think they'll be able to get invites off each other through flattery. For all you know anyone in there who agrees with you about anything in there could be doing it 'cos they think it'll be easier for them to get invites off you, by the looks of their behaviour.

So, in short we have lots of idiots coming out of there to post elsewhere on the board dumbing threads down, the invite-section is useless for us, we can't trade invites here because that section is there, it makes private trackers less secure since it makes it easier for anyone to get in and so on and so forth.

It doesn't make the board as a whole look very nice to outsiders either, when threads constantly catch stupid. Or when the top three threads in a section are titled something like "What's you favourite [insert something hopefully relevant to section here]?" and are filled with one word replies. We get more of those threads now.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-23-2008 at 07:11 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #72
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Thanks Snee for the explanation, I appreciate your time.

All of these things are true and funny I have defended FST in many many other site forums and various other places, it was a contributing factor in why I was asked to become a BT Mod as I was told. I find it disheartening that I would have to defend it in another section. Sure there are morons there but do you guys honestly think there are no morons here? A moron or a twunt as you guys say is not born in a section but they were twunts way before they came here and sure maybe the section attracts them, but should you throw your ice cream cone away because it attracts bees?

I feel you older more senior members have given up on the BT section and it's a shame, what about the no0bs )who even you guys were at one point) who are looking to learn about BT and the so called scene? You have abandoned them as well, regardless of your preferred section we all come together here for, in a general way, filsharing. We have all learned "The tricks of the trade" from someone else but now it seems that some of you more senior "file sharers" have stopped the passing of the torch. If you spend any time in there you will see the new people need your help, think of it as community service helping FST as a whole not just "lounging here".

Im not looking to start a fight here guys, I am only saying that it looks to me like you guys who IMHO have a responsibility to FST and newer generations of filesharers to guide them and help out the section instead of condemning it to burn. Why not help make it a better place ( jesus I just realized this is almost the exact same speech I gave on Revolt a while back, hey it worked there I got a few older guys to come back) So what do you say guys? Why not try and fix the problem and come on in and help instead of just saying that section breeds animals. Help the new guys who really want to be helped and help curse out the fools taking advantage of others, Besides it could be fun?

3. Lounge   -   #73
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Detale, as Snee has pointed out; trading invites defeats the purpose of private trackers. Why would I want to help do that.

I am more than glad to help a new member with any questions they might have
    (feel free to pm me).

Enjoy your daughter and don't worry about simple matters...such as this.

Peace, Paul

4. Lounge   -   #74
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    Detale, as Snee has pointed out; trading invites defeats the purpose of private trackers. Why would I want to help do that.
    That's a big problem for me too.

Obviously, if I had an invite to something JP wanted, say, and he had something I wanted, that would be an ok trade in my book.

But all the ratios in the world isn't gonna make me want to trade, or for that matter give away something, to unknown invite-section poster #1123 (who might well really be unknown invite section poster #1008, who got banned for cheating). Especially if that potentially meant going against the wishes of the people running the tracker, while at the same time compromising what security the tracker had left.

And I'm not really that keen on suffering through having to read a million +1s and the like, either, obviously.

No offense to you, Detale, like, but that section (invite section that is) would have to change in a big, and, probably, impossible way for it to work in a way that I'd consider using it.

I dunno when I posted last in the BT section proper, but I do have a look now and then.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-23-2008 at 09:34 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #75
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I have to scan it for threads to report.
    Now go away.

6. Lounge   -   #76
    Can't be the king of the inbreds without responsibilities to go with it

7. Lounge   -   #77
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    :lolpinch:

Nah. That's Brandon.
    Now go away.

8. Lounge   -   #78
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    :lolpinch:

Nah. That's Brandon.

Is he alright, btw?

-bd

9. Lounge   -   #79
    Who
    Now go away.

10. Lounge   -   #80
    Brandon, silly. I heard that he was dead. I was wondering if he was alright?

-bd

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast