Thread: Evidence?

I have a question.

When they (RIAA) do decide to serve subpena to a user of kazaa or any such filesharing program, how do they gather evidence?

I mean my thought is that they have to examine your hard drive dont they?

I mean any other evidence is not really concrete, and can easilly be forged and therefore could not be used in a lawsuit.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by peepeehead09@4 August 2003 - 02:55
    I have a question.

When they (RIAA) do decide to serve subpena to a user of kazaa or any such filesharing program, how do they gather evidence?

I mean my thought is that they have to examine your hard drive dont they?

I mean any other evidence is not really concrete, and can easilly be forged and therefore could not be used in a lawsuit.
    The amount of evidence they can gather depends entirely on the individual.
    If, for example, you use AOL, and you share copyright-protected media content, you're f'cked.
    Why, you ask?
    Because AOL is a partner of Time Warner, and therefore has the movie-industry in its interests.
    But, the amount of evidence also depends on how deeply you go into protecting your computer.
    Anyone could find out that I use Verizon Online DSL, and I live in New York, by looking at the details of my dynamic IP address.
    If I were to mask that, it would become much more difficult.
    After they know what ISP you use, and where you live, it's simply a matter of forcing the ISP to release personal information about you.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanx,

But that answers only part of the question. Ok say they do discover that i share a large amount of copyrighted material, and my ISP decides they're going to be assholes and share my personal info (such as where i live and so on). Your ISP still cant give info on your comp because that is illigal too. And also as I said, wouldn't the courts need something a little more concrete then a log file for example of what i HAD at a certin point in time. I mean they could take away your computer to annalyze your HD, but in the time it takes them to notify you you could easily replace the HD and noone could or would be the wiser.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    The RIAA don't need to know what is on your computer. All they need to know is that you've been sharing copyrighted material .It doesn't matter whether you still have the copyright material or not. It's a bit like trying to get out of a burglary conviction by saying that the stolen property is no longer in your possession!

But I still disagree with the RIAA approach. Instead of sueing everyone who shares (and of course they can only do that in USA), they should be encouraging people to purchase music. Stop pumping out the crap pop music that they are at the moment. Or add other features to the discs. Whatever, but don't alienate your very own customers.

It is just nice to live in New Zealand where the RIAA can't do anything.

Jeffrey Simpson

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by peepeehead09@3 August 2003 - 23:44
    Thanx,

But that answers only part of the question. Ok say they do discover that i share a large amount of copyrighted material, and my ISP decides they're going to be assholes and share my personal info (such as where i live and so on). Your ISP still cant give info on your comp because that is illigal too. And also as I said, wouldn't the courts need something a little more concrete then a log file for example of what i HAD at a certin point in time. I mean they could take away your computer to annalyze your HD, but in the time it takes them to notify you you could easily replace the HD and noone could or would be the wiser.
    Did anyone also ever tell you downloading music is illegal

They do have to have quite a bit of information that says you were UPLOADING songs to other people, so until they get enough infomation to have a court let them in my house i can just tell them to fuck off and get away from my house, or i'll call the police. But your ISP logs everything you look at, everything you download, everything you upload, all of it! Just make sure u have proxy connection. And also make sure u put a nice big sign in ur yard that says

" Fuck off RIAA! "

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    chalkmongoose
    I think it is also important to point out that when the RIAA succesfully subpeonas you, one of the stipulations may be to hand over your hard disk(s) to them for inspection, although that inspection may have to be done by trusted invididuals, like a jury of your peers, not a shadowed member of a egotistical organization.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by chalkmongoose@4 August 2003 - 06:27
    I think it is also important to point out that when the RIAA succesfully subpeonas you, one of the stipulations may be to hand over your hard disk(s) to them for inspection, although that inspection may have to be done by trusted invididuals, like a jury of your peers, not a shadowed member of a egotistical organization.
    i wonder what would happen if you mysteriously bought a new hdd and lost the old one after you were subpeonad...?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    yea thats exactly what i was thinking....

if u gave them another hd without any of the incriminating data on it....they couldnt do anything to you could they??