Thread: Best Way to Transfer Torrents to Linux

sinjix_media's Avatar Poster
    I'm switching from Windows to Linux, so I was wondering what the best way to transfer all my torrents to the best Linux torrent client was.
    I have the same torrents on multiple sites which consist of torrents in different directories, so they aren't all in the same directory.
    What's the best Linux torrent client and what is the best way to transfer these torrents from uTorrent to the best Linux client.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
    Danny Michel
    Infitech Design
    New York Design

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    All your actual torrent files will be in your user/appdata/utorrent folder. If it were me, I would create a new partition on my hard drive big enough to accomidate all my data, using Fat32 as the filesystem. Once you move all the data, format the old windows partition, load up linux. You can then move the data to the linux file system, or leave them on the fat32 partition, and import the torrent files you coppied from your appdata folder into your new client, then point the client to where the data is located now.

I'm no linux guru, and you may not even need a fat32 partition, but I'm sure some one will speak up if there's an easier way then this.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sinjix_media's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    All your actual torrent files will be in your user/appdata/utorrent folder. If it were me, I would create a new partition on my hard drive big enough to accomidate all my data, using Fat32 as the filesystem. Once you move all the data, format the old windows partition, load up linux. You can then move the data to the linux file system, or leave them on the fat32 partition, and import the torrent files you coppied from your appdata folder into your new client, then point the client to where the data is located now.

I'm no linux guru, and you may not even need a fat32 partition, but I'm sure some one will speak up if there's an easier way then this.
    I need my data in the same folders.
    I need a way to export and import or script or whatever that will tell the new client where to look for the files.
    I need them in the same folders.
    Regards,
    Danny Michel
    Infitech Design
    New York Design

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    The best linux bt client is rtorrent imo. I also use torrentflux but that's only when I'm lazy. I would create a base torrent directory and create the necessary subdirectories to match that of your current setup. Within rtorrent, if you're in the base directory, you can load torrents in subdirectories fairly easily.