Thread: opening .pdf in RAR file?

Poster
    Hi,
    I have about 30 RAR files that comprise a 700 page book.
    When I select all and choose OPEN, it prompts me with "may take a long time". I say continue, then nothing happens.
    Another try, I right click on one of the RAR files (the first) and choose "extract here", it prompts with "cannot open, needs volume ***rar.002".
    What do I do?
    I have winRAR.
    Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Run winrar, click "open", and then open the file with the lowest number.

Different rar programs have different numbering schemes sometimes... For example,

.rar, .001, .002, .003

Or

.000, .001, .002., .003

or some other scheme.

But winrar only likes certain configurations, so it can become confused.

Try running winrar by itself, clicking open, and then clicking the lowest numbered file. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to renumber them by hand. Make sure all the files start with the same base filename, as in..

file.rar
    file.001
    file.002

and not

file.rar
    file2.002
    file3.003

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Or you could select the first rar and then hold down shift and select the last rar, so that now that you have all the rar's selected right click and choose the "Extract to name of file" option. Then it should create a folder and put the pdf there or if its double packed then go to the new folder that just got created that holds the new set of rar's and do it again.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Also, you might try 7-zip, it seems to work well with lots of different numbering schemes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by shokan View Post
    Hi,
    I have about 30 RAR files that comprise a 700 page book.
    When I select all and choose OPEN, it prompts me with "may take a long time". I say continue, then nothing happens.
    Another try, I right click on one of the RAR files (the first) and choose "extract here", it prompts with "cannot open, needs volume ***rar.002".
    What do I do?
    I have winRAR.
    Thanks.
    I haven't got a clue why other replies haven't touched on this...
    Either you haven't got all the RAR files. You need at least the second volume (*.002) and possibly more since WinRAR won't look any further until you give it the second volume, or...
    It's a single-file RAR archive that's been split into multiple files using a thrid party program but this is unlikely since WinRAR does that anyway.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008