Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsleecher: Can I actually read newsgroups with it?

Poster
    I've got newsleecher and a News server subscription.
    Call me old fashioned, but I wanted to actually read newsgroups as well, I used to be a part of several and would like to be able to actually use it as a newsreader.
    Can it do this?
    right now to actually read an article, I have to right click it and pick open(or ctrl+R), then it downloads and opens it in notebook.

I would also like to have it auto group posts into threads by subject, can I get it to do that?
    it seems to me that it is basically a binary grabbing client, but I was hoping I could do both things in the same program and I'm not sure if I'm just missing something.
    if it cannot, is there a good SSL friendly newsreader that can both download binaries and par2 files and whatnot as well as actually being a functional newsreader?
    thanks

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Most newsreaders do one or the other very well - binaries or text. You're probably going to have to go with two different newsreaders.

That being said, I *believe* that Forte Agent or Newsrover may do what you're looking for. Their interfaces are not going to be as polished as Newsleecher's, but when you're trying to blend so many features into one client, you're going to have some issues.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    I'm ok with using 2 clients, what would be the best one for reading?
    I'd rather have 1 thing do each job well then 1 half-ass both jobs.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Do you use OE as your email client? If you do, it's easy to limit all downloads to say 10k (all others are just ignored - so you are not wasting BW) or less which more or less equates to text posts and easy to reply to.

Mozilla Thunderbird is an excellent newsreader (& email client) and would be my recommendation.

And Forte Agent is a decent newsreader too if you are used to it at all?

Would be worth googling them all for newsreading abilities and seeing which one, including the interface which is just as important, suits you.

No doubt others have their little quirky best client.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsrover isn't great (had it when I was with newsdemon), and would suggest Thunderbird. Easy to set up to read newsgroups - also need to set the SMTP for posting if you want to reply in NG.
    This space is reserved for future use

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Usenet Explorer is a very powerful, full-featured newsreader that does both text and binaries quite well.

http://www.netwu.com/ue/

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    --
    Last edited by zubzeero; 03-04-2016 at 11:25 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    I think the best one for reading is Forte Agent it takes a bit getting use to but believe me one's you get the hang of it you will never use anything else for reading!

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I wish my isp gave a free newsgroup! I don't want to have to pay for one.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrules View Post
    I wish my isp gave a free newsgroup! I don't want to have to pay for one.
    I would like that too, I paid 40$ for my subscription.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast