Thread: Visual Basic

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Okay my question is, is it any easier than C++? I have taken 2 semsters in C++ using Borland and I hear people talk about Visual Basic alot. Is it worth learning the source? I have so many program ideas, but its so much work with C++.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I wouldn't recommend that you use Visual Basic, in my opinion it is not a "real" language. I would get down to learning a high-level language such as C/C++/J++ or C#/J#. C++ is the best, because unlike VB it does not create large executables and code is optimised to run very fast. At this stage, I would say get to grips with the .NET Framework, it is very powerful stuff. Download the latest and best version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition here and then buy Visual C++ .NET for Dummies. Once you have mastered using the .NET Framework, you'll probably want to develop applications for the Windows OS, so then get a copy of Windows 2000 for Dummies, I just wish they'd release an XP revised version, but no matter, Windows 2000/XP are closely linked and function almost identically, aside from the GUI.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Visual Basic is used to create things fast, other than C++ at which could take twice the time. I'd use Visual Basic for what you need done. Otherwise you could master C++ and type twice as fast! ahahahahaa!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    C++ is a good language to learn how to program with, but I really like visual basic .NET, its a major improvement over the old visual basic (6 and earlier) (and it has inheritance now, which it didn't have before).I like how it uses "english like" syntax and how fast a hearty program can be developed, you can do just about anything else that other launguages can do.
    But honestly I would focus on C++/C#/J# as your primary language then just use visual basic.net to make your more time consuming parts of your program, then fine tune it with c++

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Amarjit@5 August 2003 - 11:28
    Download the latest and best version of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition here and then buy Visual C++ .NET for Dummies.
    I wasn't able to download anything from those sites.
    Now is that program (Visual Studio .net 2003, Enterprise Architect Edition) a visual basic compiler? or a C++ compiler or what?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It's a development suite. Includes compilers/debuggers and other tools for such languages as Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J#, Visual C# and a bunch of other crap.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Well since those downloads aren't working for me, I'm just downloading Visual Studio .net 2003 (English) from Suprnova. I suppose thats the same...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well since those downloads aren't working for me, I'm just downloading Visual Studio .net 2003 (English) from Suprnova. I suppose thats the same...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Edit:
    Deleted double post.