Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

View Poll Results: What do you think about having to unrar torrents you download?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I really don't mind it

    36 47.37%
  • I hate it

    31 40.79%
  • who cares, Frak you! and Frak this poll!

    9 11.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: To RAR or not to RAR

  1. #1
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    My Underpants!!!
    Posts
    756
    The other day I downloaded a whole season TV pack at bitmetv and downloaded the following season of the same show from TL. quality the same! but the time it took to unrar 24 episodes at TL compared to the season that was already unpacked and ready to go makes me think whats the point! for example say you download a movie 4 gigs and of course you want to seed but you also need to unrar it to watch it. so thats 8 gigs for one movie if not more.
    it makes me wounder why the groups put out video files like this, and I'm sure there is some good explanations as to why but I have yet to find one. I read at another forum that release groups get the files pre packed and refuse to unpack because it is too time consuming but maybe there are others?

    Let me know what you think!

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Sawyer2020's Avatar Lost BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NoWhere Man
    Posts
    2,164
    well what if there is corrupt file
    and what if ur file
    corrupt
    you need dl it all but if it rar u can download just
    corrupt files again
    where the option in poll we can say we want rar files

    I voted
    I really don't mind it
    but its should be in rar

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,960
    it doesn't take me very long to unrar something, and i'll do it in the background, i won't sit and watch the percentage complete go up anyways..

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    149
    It's good when using FTP and you can transfer 10 files at once going 250kb/s as opposed to one file at 250kb/s.

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,427
    Yes the time takes to rar/unrar is tedious but without archived files it's really hard for users on a slow connection to partial seed and maintain a healthy ratio. Despite the "hardship" of WinRAR I still like to have scene releases in archived forms.

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    My Underpants!!!
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by will17 View Post
    It's good when using FTP and you can transfer 10 files at once going 250kb/s as opposed to one file at 250kb/s.

    Hmm...
    never thought of that.

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Dr_Green_Thumb's Avatar Mangina BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    345
    my HD hates RARs

    but unpacked is a pain in the ass for uploaders

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,433
    I don't like RARs at all. I've never had a problem with a file being corrupt on any of my hundreds of uncompressed downloads. I understand it is scene protocol, but torrents aren't "scene", so why require it all the time?

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
    Yes the time takes to rar/unrar is tedious but without archived files it's really hard for users on a slow connection to partial seed and maintain a healthy ratio. Despite the "hardship" of WinRAR I still like to have scene releases in archived forms.
    you can partial seed a non rared file too.. i never have done these stupid partial seeds though.. (its just wasted traffic ) imo if you need to partial seed to get your ratio up, the tracker isnt for you.. although most people have much better upload speed than me..
    to the topic.. rars dont make any sense in the torrent world..
    and how do you reseed a dvd you have burned to disc?

  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by sokrates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
    Yes the time takes to rar/unrar is tedious but without archived files it's really hard for users on a slow connection to partial seed and maintain a healthy ratio. Despite the "hardship" of WinRAR I still like to have scene releases in archived forms.
    you can partial seed a non rared file too.. i never have done these stupid partial seeds though.. (its just wasted traffic ) imo if you need to partial seed to get your ratio up, the tracker isnt for you.. although most people have much better upload speed than me..
    to the topic.. rars dont make any sense in the torrent world..
    and how do you reseed a dvd you have burned to disc?
    how do you partial seed on non-rared files? I don't have a magnificent internet connection mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •