Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Continue To Buy Cds?

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    yea, im 15 and im broke as hell. but if there is a cd from a band that i respect and want to support, i will buy it.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Music   -   #12
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    i buy CD&#39;s because - quite frankly - the quality of MP3&#39;s is terable, listen to some though a decent setup (i.e. not PC speakers) and you can hear how bad they are - the reason is this - mp3&#39;s tend to be at around 128/192 k/s, CD&#39;s run at about 1124 k/s - that is a lot off differance

3. Music   -   #13
    I typically buy my cd&#39;s because I am extremely anal about the kbps at which my mp3&#39;s are at, preferred is using alt-preset standard, which is about the same size as 192 kbps

my other reasons, you sometimes get bonus songs, videos, or a bonus dvd

some bands I am willing to support, others (like Metallica) can lick me where the sun don&#39;t shine

4. Music   -   #14
    i&#39;ll but a cd if im a big fan of the band. but most of the time, its just a waste. most of the cd&#39;s out there have 2 or so songs that are actually good and the rest is just shat. also, many places selling cd&#39;s at &#036;18 (US), thats just bull, it shouldnt be that much, especially if there are only 1 or 2 songs you want, not worth it in my opinion.

5. Music   -   #15
    its just the furture , Like how people stoped buying those old big black disk forgot name then cassets then CDs now digital.

6. Music   -   #16
    Originally posted by arildho@5 August 2003 - 13:57
    What can the music industry do to add value to the physical product, so that you will continue to buy the CD instead of downloading the track?
    they could bring the price down

£12 per CD

breakdown (estimate):
    £2 - Manufacturing costs
    £1 - Artist
    £1 - Support New artists
    £1 - Tax
    £7 - Profit
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. Music   -   #17
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by FearNot@5 August 2003 - 19:18
    its just the furture , Like how people stoped buying those old big black disk forgot name then cassets then CDs now digital.&nbsp;
    you mean vinyl? which is now selling a lot due to the fact people have realised it sounds better than CD&#39;s??

8. Music   -   #18
    Poster
    Well, I&#39;ve never actually bought a CD myself (yet I somehow own 4 of them), but I have some opinions on the subject.

What is the added value of the physical product?
    I think that people prefer to own something that&#39;s physical over completely digital. Music on a CD that you can hold in your hands simply seems more tangible. The same music held somewhere on a complex machine, who&#39;s owner probably doesn&#39;t even understand how it stores it or how the format works, is much more abstract. It&#39;s like asking someone if they&#39;d rather be given a ten dollar bill or be given a debit card for an account with &#036;10 in it. (Maybe not a great analogy, but it gets the point across.) They&#39;d prefer the physical item even though both are worth exactly the same.
    Also, if they&#39;re not very knowledgeable about making their own CD&#39;s or don&#39;t have a burner, then the store-bought CD&#39;s have the advantage of being portable.

What are the advantages of a physical CD collection over a digital one?
    I don&#39;t really see much of an advantage to owning large amounts of CD&#39;s. Especially if a person can burn their own - then a digital collection can become physical. I guess the mentality may be something like with other expensive things, like cars, home theater systems, etc. Something to be proud of, to show off.

What can the music industry do to add value to the physical product, so that you will continue to buy the CD instead of downloading the track?
    Like others said, more bonus material like videos and so forth. I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever seen bonus content from a CD available anywhere. To me, that would be the only reason to buy a CD (or at the very least, borrow one from someone who did). IMO, that&#39;s really the only selling point they have right now, since most album art is available in addition to audio of practically lossless quality. Lowering the price wouldn&#39;t make much of a difference to me since I have no intention of buying an album, especially now. However, I&#39;m pretty sure lowered prices would appeal to others, but would probably not convince many people who regularly download and never buy.

Hope I helped, good luck on your dissertation.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

9. Music   -   #19
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by ObiWan+5 August 2003 - 13:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ObiWan @ 5 August 2003 - 13:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-arildho@5 August 2003 - 13:57
    they could bring the price down

£12 per CD

breakdown (estimate):
    £2 - Manufacturing costs
    £1 - Artist
    £1 - Support New artists
    £1 - Tax
    £7 - Profit [/b][/quote]
    I thought it would cost less the create a cd.. most only have the jewel case and a little booklet.. im guessing more like a dollar cus they do it in such huge quantities.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

10. Music   -   #20
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by arildho@5 August 2003 - 13:57
    Hi Everybody&#33;

I&#39;m a student at University of Liverpool, England, and I&#39;m currently working on my MBA dissertation.
    I&#39;m studying why we, the consumers, continue to buy CDs even when we can find the same music for free on the Internet, and I&#39;m interested in your points of view.

What is the added value of the physical product?

What are the advantages of a physical CD collection over a digital one?

I appreciate any feedback&#33;

Arildho
    well to be honest if i really like an artist and cant be arsed looking through kazaa im gonna buy a cd cos it aint that much of my pocket money and it also is nice to have one original amoung the many fakes
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast