Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are wait times for new users really a good policy?

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I'm a good user and have great speed, so I can usually get past the new user wait times in a few days. But I was thinking about it when I saw this new site with 72 hour wait times and not many leechers on the torrents new users can download. It seems that placing a long wait time on new users would cause more leeching than it could possibly prevent. I see how placing wait times on users who have been a member and kept a bad ratio is justified, but with new users, especially on sites that get a lot of first time private tracker, makes it even harder to start off with a decent ratio.

For example, if I download even a popular torrent that is three days old, I will have to wait weeks to seed it back, if there are even enough leechers coming after me. So, if I'm a n00b and grab a 2-3 torrents in the excitement of getting access to a cool new private tracker, I will then be a few GBs in the hole with almost no chance of seeding my way out, even with a fast connection like I have. So those folks with slower connections or a preference for HD or full DVDs face a difficult time of proving themselves.

It seems this policy is mainly in place so people who just signed up can't hit and run the newest torrents. But that doesn't make sense because these are the torrents where there is less of a problem for hit and run, since they at least offer the opportunity to seed back if you stay with the swarm. Sure, there will be those people who h&r a new torrent before it has enough seeders, but those are easy bans to make.

So, any administrators reading this, please consider ending wait times. I can argue even more reasons about this, but for the sake of brevity, I'll stop here for now.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Wait times for new users have been put into place so that they can get some donations going in the process or so i think.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Aether's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    I like the idea, weeds out bad users or users that dont know how to seed right. If you can seed on a torrent that is 72 hours old, you can definitely seed one that is brand new.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    J-G's Avatar Zazhigaem
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    I like the idea, weeds out bad users or users that dont know how to seed right. If you can seed on a torrent that is 72 hours old, you can definitely seed one that is brand new.
    Totally agree with u

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    they should give u at least 1 with no wait so u can build your share ratio
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    It's a bad ideea !No reason...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Leaving something seeding for weeks or months just doesn't make much sense for me. I don't download anything older than 3 days, if that, usually I grab something within a few hours of it being upped.

I don't really know what you mean by knowing how to seed. Leaving it in your client forever is lame. I'd rather have a user that visits the site often and jumps in on new swarms than one who occasionally logs in to search & leech for some random week old torrent (or older).

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    It's a stupid idea imo. The sign of a badly managed tracker.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    mindtrick's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I fully agree with you. Wait time for new users is probably the most unnecessary and stupid thing on a tracker.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    TidusBlade's Avatar Watermelon Knight BT Rep: +3
    I don't mind it, but I think it should be only for low ratios. Many times I go to a new tracker and end up either having to upload something of my own if I can, or download the torrent from somewhere else and seed it there or download some week old torrent that will take me weeks to seed back, and new users haven't done anything bad...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast