Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The internet is full

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by bornwithnoname View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Ya but they already started accommodating for that.

I know that ...but Squeamous didn't
    My god you're right, the internets are doomed.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bornwithnoname View Post

I know that ...but Squeamous didn't
    My god you're right, the internets are doomed.

Citizens Band and ham radio, ftw!

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    damnit the internets are full, im goin to bed.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    In 2038, exactly 30 years from now, a bug in Unix will cause all computers running a Unix-based OS to crash. The biggest problem is that most internet servers run Unix, so a majority of websites will be down. "The 2038 bug", as it is called, is a problem with how the system processes time, similar to the y2k bug. Unix systems will show the time as a negative number because they encode the time in a 32-bit format, counting seconds form midnight on January 1, 1970. That last number that will work in that format will be the time at 3:14 A.M. on January 19, 2038.

There has already been a big crash because of the bug: in May 2006, AOLServer web server software crashed. The problem came about because it was programmed so that database requests would not time out. However, instead of just setting timeout to 0, it set the timeout to 1 billion seconds in the future. One billion seconds (just over 31 years 251 days and 12 hours) after 21:27:28 on 12 May 2006 is after 2038, the system calculated the timeout date to be in the past, and crashed.

Before you panic, just remember that 2038 is 30 years in the future. A fix might come our way by then.
    The Internet Will Die In 30 Years

Funny comment from Tiago Luz: "the world will end in 2012, so no problems for us, but SkyNet will be in trouble."
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    lol what a joke. I hope the internet keeps going, don't you?

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Oh, ok! Right, so basically the internet is running out of unique identifiers for all the various users, but someone's going to come up with some more?

Is that right, because I'm not very good at this stuff .

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Oh, ok! Right, so basically the internet is running out of unique identifiers for all the various users, but someone's going to come up with some more?

Is that right, because I'm not very good at this stuff .
    Yes everything is fine, there is already a new IP version protocol in place that addresses this issue, along with other things called IPv6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

When IPv6 starts to go belly up, there will be a new protocol to replace that, or something else to replace the IP protocol and it's limitations...

No worries...

8. Lounge   -   #18
    It's not like I was really worried anyway. I can do without the internet....in fact I can stop any time I like....I just don't want to .

I hate it when people drop stuff on you like that and when you press them for an explanation they say 'dunno, I just heard it off some bloke in the pub, I wasn't really listening' .

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Governments around the world have an extreme vested interest in the Net, so it's not going anywhere unless they do, or unless we all do, like in some apocalypse...

10. Lounge   -   #20
    The idea of an apocalypse doesn't worry me at all .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast