Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The internet is full

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    The idea of an apocalypse doesn't worry me at all .
    I hope this doesn't happen as I am rubbish at these Latin dances.
    That'll be the rheumatism Biggy-wiggy. I'll let you know when it's coming so you can stock up on anti-inflammatories .

2. Lounge   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    All this stuff people said in this thread is nonsence.
    The internet will only break if you type 'google' into google.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    All this stuff people said in this thread is nonsence.
    The internet will only break if you type 'google' into google.
    Fact!
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

I hope this doesn't happen as I am rubbish at these Latin dances.
    That'll be the rheumatism Biggy-wiggy. I'll let you know when it's coming so you can stock up on anti-inflammatories .
    It is Nivea cold cream you will be needing

Last edited by Biggles; 03-31-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. Lounge   -   #35
    You'll be needing a pacemaker at that rate .

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    In 2038, exactly 30 years from now, a bug in Unix will cause all computers running a Unix-based OS to crash. The biggest problem is that most internet servers run Unix, so a majority of websites will be down. "The 2038 bug", as it is called, is a problem with how the system processes time, similar to the y2k bug. Unix systems will show the time as a negative number because they encode the time in a 32-bit format, counting seconds form midnight on January 1, 1970. That last number that will work in that format will be the time at 3:14 A.M. on January 19, 2038.

There has already been a big crash because of the bug: in May 2006, AOLServer web server software crashed. The problem came about because it was programmed so that database requests would not time out. However, instead of just setting timeout to 0, it set the timeout to 1 billion seconds in the future. One billion seconds (just over 31 years 251 days and 12 hours) after 21:27:28 on 12 May 2006 is after 2038, the system calculated the timeout date to be in the past, and crashed.

Before you panic, just remember that 2038 is 30 years in the future. A fix might come our way by then.
    The Internet Will Die In 30 Years

Funny comment from Tiago Luz: "the world will end in 2012, so no problems for us, but SkyNet will be in trouble."
    Ah! No I don't think so somehow... all real *IX boxes sold today are running 64 bit processors, (even Intel boxes are now moving to 64 bits) as a consequence the word length has changed to 64 bits, so another 32 bits have been added to the 32 bits that are used to encode the clock ticks since 1970... and if you're dealing with someone who is still using 32 bit processors in 2038, who isn't a museum, then you'll deserve to lose your data

Fixed.
    Last edited by manicgeek; 03-31-2008 at 04:50 PM.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Sounds a lot like the Y2K thing all over again. The fall of the computer and internet did not happen then and I seriously doubt this is any more that tinfoil rumor again.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrider View Post
    Sounds a lot like the Y2K thing all over again. The fall of the computer and internet did not happen then and I seriously doubt this is any more that tinfoil rumor again.
    I agree with the fat chick.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Yes, thank you brainiacs. People with a greater level of eloquence have actually pointed that out already. In the course of the last 4 pages we have just about covered all the bases with respect to the internet flidding out at any point and had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was all a load of bollocks. As you would expect from a bunch of people with at the very least the ability to translate thoughts into words in a rudimentary fashion using a piece of electronic hardware as an intermediary. What did you think we were all discussing for 4 pages?

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Yes, thank you brainiacs. People with a greater level of eloquence have actually pointed that out already. In the course of the last 4 pages we have just about covered all the bases with respect to the internet flidding out at any point and had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was all a load of bollocks. As you would expect from a bunch of people with at the very least the ability to translate thoughts into words in a rudimentary fashion using a piece of electronic hardware as an intermediary. What did you think we were all discussing for 4 pages?
    I like you now, I really do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast