Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cpu Fans

Originally posted by Lamsey@6 August 2003 - 02:33
    Diagram of airflows:
    that diagram doesn't deal with the CPU fan at all. it's showing how the case fans and PSU fan are meant to work together.

i may be wrong about the direction the CPU fan blows (i've never installed a fan separately, myself-- all the heatsinks i've bought have come with the fan already attached), but that diagram is only relevant to how the larger airflow scheme works. i've always thought that the reason heatsinks have those fins or indentations under the fan is to allow air to come in under the fan, absorb the heat, and be blown away from the CPU though.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    um guys......i only have 1 fan in my pc
    2 including the power pack fan.
    i have taken the side off my box because if the record breaking heat wave we are having. im getting a new case , motherboard and cpu soon anyway so i will cool the bollocks off it when i build it

a fan mounted paralell to my video card in a psi slot, as many fans allowed mounted on the case front,back and side. the fastest quietest cpu fan possible and and maybe a HD fan too

for this demonstration i will need; a big power pack, and lots of artic silver.

BTW do Light Cathodes and other box modes generate heat?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is easy to determine which way the fan blows as long as the blades are curved (I haven't seen any which aren't).

The airflow is always away from the scooped side.

/
    | --> airflow
    \

I've never seen any cpu fans that blow away from the cpu, but I suppose it isn't impossible.

Oh, and the top left picture in Lamsey's examples would now be considered wrong (according to Amd and Intel) for an Atx case because the airflow often bypasses the cpu.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by lynx@6 August 2003 - 13:05
    Oh, and the top left picture in Lamsey's examples would now be considered wrong (according to Amd and Intel) for an Atx case because the airflow often bypasses the cpu.
    Yes... the intake on your PSU should preferably be on the bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12