Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLAC vs other lossless formats among BT users.

I see no reason not to use FLAC.

btw, why does FLAC have so many compression levels? You can chose from 0 to 8, I mean, what is the point in 9 levels of compression? Is it really necessary???

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quarter's Avatar aaaaasssssddddd BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Apple Lossless is great to.
    WAV is best

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster
    I couldn't understand one aspect of FLAC... As written in Wikipedia, FLAC is codec with "releases", similar to an application, but as we all know FLAC is a codec. Latest release is 1.2.1, and let's say that I rip a CD using that version, and half a year later an new version comes along. Will I need to re-rip the CD? (regarding quality...)

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    No, if you have done it right the first time it is lossless and can't be better quality. What is being worked on is more how fast the encoding process, error correction, support between various formats, software, hardware etc.

If let's say the programmers come up with some different algorithm that is even more effective and fast, then it would be backwards compatible anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    antonii's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Lossless compression is a compression methodology in which the result of the compression can be restored faithfully, i.e. bit-by-bit identical with the uncompressed data.

In a nutshell, it is somewhat like compressing a Waveform file with ZIP or RAR.

The difference between 'mere' ZIP/RAR is that lossless compression algorithms are especially tuned and designed for the characteristics of Waveform data, thus achieving compression far greater than can be achieved by generic compression utilities.

As lossless compression preserves all information of the original Waveform file, audio compressed with lossless compression will unavoidably be larger than audio compressed with lossy compression. However, this disadvantage is more than offset by lossless' ability to be transcoded to other lossless format without any quality degradation.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    FLAC is always a winner... Because the quality really rocks... Wav is also very good format.. quite old one..
    I am proud to be a part of this communities.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Wav is uncompressed audio file and I work mostly in that format cos that is the most common format that audio recording/mixing program uses. I really don't see much advantage in using Flac since an album is no more than 800mb. Compare that to vid file of a full length movie in HD format, a 800mg .wav file is tinny.
    Last edited by TP635; 04-03-2008 at 03:19 AM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    apparently the scene has some new rules regarding lossless music

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1
    i wish more dts 5.1 music was released

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    KREMBO's Avatar KREMBO ON FIRE BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by J-dye View Post
    i wish more dts 5.1 music was released
    wish to
    but yet you have to rip or convert to flac

and i think flac is the best
    i started to use and rip to flac since oink was live
    <a rel=nofollow href=http://http://skitza.net/imgs/img20/5_GsA6aDOE5e.JPG target=_blank><font color=#0000ff>http://skitza.net/imgs/img20/5_GsA6aDOE5e.JPG</font></a>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast