Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Virgin Media takes fight to illegal downloaders

  1. #1
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,046
    Virgin Media looks set to become the first British internet company to crack down on customers who download music illegally.

    Record labels are lobbying for a "three strikes" regime that would see those who collect pirated material disconnected from the internet, and the government is expected next month to consult on how such curbs could be legally enforced.

    Music trade body the BPI is working with Virgin on a pilot which could see dozens of customers sent warning letters.

    The trial by the UK's largest residential broadband supplier will go live within months and disconnecting customers who ignore warnings, a sanction favoured by the record BPI, remains an option. The trial will also be open to film and television studios.

    Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...nvirgin130.xml
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 04-01-2008 at 06:36 PM.

  2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    antonii's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    246
    Why there are so bad people? Piracy must live that is the way

  3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    So how is this going to work?How are they going to discriminate between legal and not legal downloads? Well Virgin can F**K Off,my subscriptions going elsewhere..

  4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post
    So how is this going to work?How are they going to discriminate between legal and not legal downloads? Well Virgin can F**K Off,my subscriptions going elsewhere..
    good point. I have downloaded CD's that I own just because my CD was scratched to hell. They'll just have to have a blacklist of sources I guess.

  5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    bmick's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    41
    they will stop once they realize how many people do they will lose alot of money from disabling everyone that does it just supid idea

  6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,046
    I believe that there's nothing to worry about it's just scare tactics as always one group pressuring another. I don't think virgin media want to lose customers they just want to keep certain groups happy to look as if they are doing something about copywritten material being downloaded.

    More than likely data and ip addresses will be gathered and passed on in the same or similar methods that are currently being used by other Country's they gather ip addresses and pass it on to your isp and other groups.

    A few people may be warned and dissconected but i can't see this trial being successful lot ofpeople can protect themselves a little also theres the money issue again with so many different alternative internet providers around. With adsl2 comeing around very soon lots of people won't have to just rely on virgin media.

    What's there to say innocent people won't be targeted far as I'm aware not everything on the net is illegal yet those downloading linux stuffs could be mistaken and logged for illegal downloading it's all a grey area and always has been to many people use bit torrent for illegal downloading and it's not the only method for these antis to have an easy time on their frenzy that's just my opinion on what i think i know it may look out of place a few things i have mensioned as i am not very clear on the laws and groups really they don't concern me I don't download anything .
    Last edited by sleepyy; 04-02-2008 at 01:48 PM.

  7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Emma1979's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    167
    Ive never been a great fan of virgin anyway, i have been with them now for 3 years and can quite honestly say i have hated the experience. The only reason why i have stayed with them is their internet service.
    If this does happen, they have lost me for good.

    There are many different isp's and im sure not everyone will be adapting the scheme.

  8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    I believe that there's nothing to worry about it's just scare tactics as always one group pressuring another. I don't think virgin media want to lose customers they just want to keep certain groups happy to look as if they are doing something about copywritten material being downloaded.

    More than likely data and ip addresses will be gathered and passed on in the same or similar methods that are currently being used by other Country's they gather ip addresses and pass it on to your isp and other groups.

    A few people may be warned and dissconected but i can't see this trial being successful lot ofpeople can protect themselves a little also theres the money issue again with so many different alternative internet providers around. With adsl2 comeing around very soon lots of people won't have to just rely on virgin media.

    What's there to say innocent people won't be targeted far as I'm aware not everything on the net is illegal yet those downloading linux stuffs could be mistaken and logged for illegal downloading it's all a grey area and always has been to many people use bit torrent for illegal downloading and it's not the only method for these antis to have an easy time on their frenzy that's just my opinion on what i think i know it may look out of place a few things i have mensioned as i am not very clear on the laws and groups really they don't concern me I don't download anything .
    Well let me tell you..they have already shutdown their newserver for binnaries..So looks like they mean business..W**kers

  9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    I believe that there's nothing to worry about it's just scare tactics as always one group pressuring another. I don't think virgin media want to lose customers they just want to keep certain groups happy to look as if they are doing something about copywritten material being downloaded.

    More than likely data and ip addresses will be gathered and passed on in the same or similar methods that are currently being used by other Country's they gather ip addresses and pass it on to your isp and other groups.

    A few people may be warned and dissconected but i can't see this trial being successful lot ofpeople can protect themselves a little also theres the money issue again with so many different alternative internet providers around. With adsl2 comeing around very soon lots of people won't have to just rely on virgin media.

    What's there to say innocent people won't be targeted far as I'm aware not everything on the net is illegal yet those downloading linux stuffs could be mistaken and logged for illegal downloading it's all a grey area and always has been to many people use bit torrent for illegal downloading and it's not the only method for these antis to have an easy time on their frenzy that's just my opinion on what i think i know it may look out of place a few things i have mensioned as i am not very clear on the laws and groups really they don't concern me I don't download anything .
    Well let me tell you..they have already shutdown their newserver for binnaries..So looks like they mean business..W**kers
    no they havnt, ive just got the room list for 4 rooms,and downloaded something from all 4 and its worked fine

  10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,883
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post

    Well let me tell you..they have already shutdown their newserver for binnaries..So looks like they mean business..W**kers
    no they havnt, ive just got the room list for 4 rooms,and downloaded something from all 4 and its worked fine
    Rooms? What sort of usenet are they providing?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •