Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can infertility be caused as a result of rape?

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Serious question. I don't really want to go deep down into detail. Thing is I know a girl who's really down as she was raped last year, and she is worried she may be infertile (because some prat got her thinking she could be.. Because "he heard many stories").

Question is, could it be? Could she be infertile because she was raped..? What I do know is she used the "day after" pill after the rape took place, and she also still gets her period every month...

So, what are the chances? Is it even possible?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    yes it is possible, e.g. chlamydia is sexually transmitted, can cause infertility & can be fairly common.
    As usual if you're asking for medical advice on the interweb you should really be talking to a doctor...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    We aren't doctors, you should leave a serious question like this to the professionals. Best of luck to your friend

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Jeez.. It's just, like.. She doesn't deserve to become infertile because of some bastard asshole who had to rape her.. If she gets a positive result on this.. God knows what may happen to her.. What she may do to herself

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    sounds like she needs counselling and medical help. There are bound to be things set up in your area which can advise on dealing with rape and you should either get her to contact them or contact them yourself.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Unless there was some sort of internal damaging, I would have serious doubts about her being infertile.

Wrap. It. Up.

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    @ilw: She doesn't want any help.. I've told her time and time again to tell her parents, but she wants to do it her own way, and judging by the way she lives her life, she seems to be doing perfectly fine (apart from flashbacks whenever she gets into any intimate situations. These flashbacks get rarer every time).

So.. I'm guessing that if she is found negative on the fertility test, I should just let it go and give her a break, and leave her to deal with it the way she seems fit to?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Serious question. I don't really want to go deep down into detail. Thing is I know a girl who's really down as she was raped last year, and she is worried she may be infertile (because some prat got her thinking she could be.. Because "he heard many stories").

Question is, could it be? Could she be infertile because she was raped..? What I do know is she used the "day after" pill after the rape took place, and she also still gets her period every month...

So, what are the chances? Is it even possible?
    yes it is possible , but chances are very low

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Since it's pretty unlikely that a rapest stopped to put on a Condom, anything he had, she could now have.

Tell her to go and get tested for STD's, if she hasn't got one, then the Rape itself wont leave her infertile.. unless there was enough physical violence to cause internal damage. If people around her can't tell that it's happened, thats pretty unlikely.

...but she really should get councelling for it anyway, that type of thing can really fuck up a girls life
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 03-23-2008 at 03:12 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Exactly.. To be honest... She's my girlfriend. Right now. She claims it's partly because of me that she manages to still look at herself in the mirror daily.. I mean, she's the cutest thing.. It's horrific to think she went through such a thing a mere 7 months ago..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast