Thread: Seedbox Purpose

Poster BT Rep: +2
    I'm thinking about getting a seedbox because my connection is slow for the high level trackers. I'm finding it hard to keep ratio. But what really is the purpose of a seedbox if your download speed is slow as well? I mean once the new torrents hit, don't you have to download fast as well in order to seed?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    well the seedbox should have a fast download speed so that wouldn't be a problem. it would just take you longer to get the file you want cause you'd have to either transfer it back onto your computer or download the torrent a second time, using your home download speed

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    oh thanks so that's how it works. I guess it downloads for you, seeds as well, and then you can download from it later?

Yeah, I need this for bitmetv. My ratio is like .2 with 500mb-1gig downloaded and I don't want to download more on my current connection putting me in a deep hole.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    oh thanks so that's how it works. I guess it downloads for you, seeds as well, and then you can download from it later?
    Yes u can download from the box to ur PC.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    ...with some FTP - client. The likes of TC, Cute FTP, Smart FTP, Titan FTP, FileZilla etc.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    PLus with ftp you can laways max out ur connection normaly except if ur in eu and server is in us.
    So if your in eu try getn a server in eu and if ur in us try getn a server in us.:-)

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    That's it really. Even if you have the shittiest of home connections with a seedbox you can maintain a very good ratio. You can download large files at lightening fast speeds and seed back at super speeds too. And as already mentioned you can FTP files that you download with your seedbox to your HD with a FTP client such as Winscp ect..... It's just simply drag and drop.

Bottom line is if you can spare a few quid and enjoy torrenting it's well worth it to rent a seedbox imo that is.
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    You don't really need a seedbox but it sure does make life a lot easier. If you really want to not use a seedbox, then just download wisely. Build a decent buffer first by downloading torrents from the bigger sites and then seeding at the higher level sites, partial seeding, and be sure to take full advantage of free leech (this is where seedboxes play a big factor).

However, even we a seedbox, not everything is still guaranteed. There are some sites with a majority of users that have seedboxes and still it is difficult to seed unless you're part of the first wave.

Ultimately it comes down to being smart when downloading files. If you're around when something is released, then grab it right away. If you can find files that have been out for a few hours at the larger communities, then go that route.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Well having been warned about having my IP showing in a torrent swarm and the suits getting onto my ISP, the seedbox is just part of every day life now and most of my torrenting is done from the box as a matter of course, it keeps my home IP out of the swarm, and I can leave my home PC to grab & seed from the not so popular places like PTNA (never enough pr0n!) and other quieter below the radar places
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!