Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Colour blindness stuff.

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    * In protanopia the visible range of the spectrum is shorter at the red end compared with that of the normal, and that part of the spectrum that appears blue-green in the normal appears to those with protanopia as grey.
    * In deuteranopia the part of the spectrum that appears to the normal as green appears as grey. Purple-red (the complimentary colour of green) also appears as grey.

* In protanomalia and deuteranomalia, no part of the spectrum appears as grey, however the part of the spectrum that appears to those with protanopia as grey will appear as a greyish indistinct colour to those with protanomalia and similarily, the part of the spectrum which appears grey to those with deuteranopia will appear as an indistinct greyish colour to those with deuteranomalia.
    As a result of this red-green colour vision deficiencies show blue and yellow colours clearer than red and green colours.

* Those who suffer from typical total colour blindness show a complete failure to discriminate any colour variations, usually associated with impairment of central vision with photophobia and nystagmus.

* With atypical total colour blindness, the sensitivity to red and green, as well as to yellow and blue is so low that only very clear colours may be perceived. There are, however, no further abnormalities in the visual functions.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I can see how tests designed to weed out that would give me trouble, then. I've got problems differentiating between some nuances. I don't think any colours turn grey or indistinct or owt for me, though.

I can see extremes, and primary colours. Can't really see exactly where blue ends and green begins, and where green ends and yellow begins and that kind of thing, I'm inaccurate rather than oblivious of colours, if that makes sense. In some cases It has been as if my colour-perception has been shifted towards one end of the spectrum, compared to what other people have seen.

So what I'm saying is that I can tell if something has a colour, I guess. Just not always which the correct one.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-07-2008 at 08:47 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

So what I'm saying is that I can tell if something has a colour, I guess. Just not always which the correct one.
    That's by far the most common thing as I understand it. In spite of the fact that people think of colour blindness as not being able to see colour. I think the name may be unhelpful.

The way my brother explained it to me was that for what I perceived as red and green he saw different shades of the same colour. He could almost have called it gred and it would have made more sense to him. Hence the sock thing. 2 socks could be entirely different, one red and one green. However if their shades were similar he would see them as the same.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

That's by far the most common thing as I understand it. In spite of the fact that people think of colour blindness as not being able to see colour. I think the name may be unhelpful.

The way my brother explained it to me was that for what I perceived as red and green he saw different shades of the same colour. He could almost have called it gred and it would have made more sense to him. Hence the sock thing. 2 socks could be entirely different, one red and one green. However if their shades were similar he would see them as the same.
    For me one of the socks would have to be a bright yellow and the other a very yellow green, like, for me to mix them up, for instance.

And even then I'd probably be able to see they were different, but I might not be able to tell which was which (might even end up seeing the yellow as lime green and the other as yellow).

It's that close, for me. Yet I'll invariably mess up most tests.

But like I said, I started off as being able to see colours normally, was tested when I was little. The most likely culprit is a virus, as I said, which may account for any oddness in my condition

It might even be to do with the angle with which I'm looking at stuff, possibly. Not really something I've bothered to explore.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-07-2008 at 09:19 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Talking of the effects of a virus, I had viral labyrinthitis , that really fucks your life a bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_...inthitis.shtml

See the bit about full recovery, everyone I have spoken to about it has agreed it was pish.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Talking of the effects of a virus, I had viral labyrinthitis , that really fucks your life a bit.

See the bit about full recovery, everyone I have spoken to about it has agreed it was pish.
    Can it stay with you for life?

7. Lounge   -   #47

It's difficult to tell. Like I said everyone I have spoken to says that they have wee bouts for years to come. I certainly get it sometimes but it only lasts a few seconds and if you know what it is you don't panic. Though it is fucking annoying.

The treatment I was given was basically as follows. I'll give you anti nausea tablets but try not to take them if you can avoid it. That way your brain will adapt. The sicker you feel the more motivation it has to adapt to the condition. I think that sometimes it forgets to allow for the problem and that's when one gets the "episodes".

On the day it happened to me I seriously thought I was going to die. I've never felt anything like it. I spoke to a Paratrooper of my acquaintance who it had happened to and he felt the same way. He was actually rushed to intensive care in an ambulance. His mate still can't go into certain rooms depending on the decor.

The best description I can give of the feeling when it happened is - Get really pished, then go on a "Waltzer" for about ten minutes then try to stand still. The whole World spins so much that you actually have to hold on to things.

8. Lounge   -   #48

It's difficult to tell. Like I said everyone I have spoken to says that they have wee bouts for years to come. I certainly get it sometimes but it only lasts a few seconds and if you know what it is you don't panic. Though it is fucking annoying.

The treatment I was given was basically as follows. I'll give you anti nausea tablets but try not to take them if you can avoid it. That way your brain will adapt. The sicker you feel the more motivation it has to adapt to the condition. I think that sometimes it forgets to allow for the problem and that's when one gets the "episodes".

On the day it happened to me I seriously thought I was going to die. I've never felt anything like it. I spoke to a Paratrooper of my acquaintance who it had happened to and he felt the same way. He was actually rushed to intensive care in an ambulance. His mate still can't go into certain rooms depending on the decor.

The best description I can give of the feeling when it happened is - Get really pished, then go on a "Waltzer" for about ten minutes then try to stand still. The whole World spins so much that you actually have to hold on to things.

How did you get it in the first place? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It's one of them things I'd like to avoid, I reckon.

9. Lounge   -   #49

How did you get it in the first place? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It's one of them things I'd like to avoid, I reckon.
    Virus, gets into the labyrinth, that's about it. It's one of those "shit happens" things. True story.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Avoid labyrinths - check

Did you get insurance or owt for it?

It's a bad thing when professionals claim a full recovery is easy. My mam never got compensation for some whiplash thing after she had her car accident a couple of years back. Some genious doctor decided she should totally have recovered from that. She still suffers from it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast