Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to donate to private trackers?

The Gladiator's Avatar I Will Report You BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by KravenX View Post
    The Gladiator it`s not that simple. for example, I implement a donation system on cz. the users will donate, they will receive their upload/invites/etc and they are happy. What would I do with the money? I can easily lie the users that is for the maintenace of the server. As long as you do not know how the things work around there, I could do whatever I want with the money. And this is not fair.

On the other hand, I agree that lots of trackers does not have any resources, and NEED the money. I do not have an acct on BCG stoi, but I`m sure it is a good tracker and needs the donations. So other important trackers, such as sct, ftn, tl etc. But the saddest part is that there are LOTS of trackers that do not need donations (being either too small, or not so important) and still ask for money. Trustworthy or not, users are fooled and throw money for something that would run the same with or without donations.

Do not understand me wrongly, this is just my opinion. As a simple user, you can easily be fooled by the staff.
    Yeah i got it.

But look when you pay for the up, you just care about the up, i did a donation on BitMeTV for the up and it's equal for me if they get whores with the money or if it's for help the tracker.

But i'm with you if it's donate just because you want to help the tracker... Things usually, probably, work like that.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

**Don't PM me asking for invites**

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    SaviouR's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    from your case i can suggest you 2 things :-

1) buy a seedbox for a month or two (or share with a friend to divid the price) and build a good buffer so u dont have to worry much later when ur leeching a lot

or

2)donate for gb/s or get vip from TL or some site so that u dont have to worry at all for those specific months instead of $ per 'x'gb/s like other sites .

if u feel the electricity part is hurting a lot financially , then the above 2 options are the best i can suggest for u . in the end , do what you feel is best , good luck .

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    sacebac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldStoNe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sacebac View Post

I dont understand you, my upload speed is around 25 kb\s and i have good buffers in my trackers, you must work better in those trackers, and you will see that with time your buffer will increase a lot..........

Please don't get me wrong mate. I also have good buffers in the trackers I'm active in. It's because I seed almost 24/7 for the past few months. A lot of effort has been poured on my part just to buffer up and seed back. At the same time my electricity bills shot up around $25-30 higher than those months when my pc is on for a few hours a day only [electricity is costly in the country where I'm from ]. So I'm thinking of ways to minimize cost and at the same time survive in my favorite trackers...

There are lots of good suggestions here. Thank you guys. I'll evaluate what's best for me. Semi-private trackers? hmmm... Keep your opinions pouring in guys. I'm sure there are also lots of members who would benefit from our discussion.
    Really?Oh man, in that case i have to give you reason........In my case i seed 24/7 all the time, but i dont see my electricity bills ups a lot, just around 5€ month, its not much compare with you!!!!!!
    In that case i recomend you to buy a seed box, its what i do if was me........

For people who have slow connection like me, and like The Gladiator saids 'Is all about patience'!!!!!!!!
    I am not very good in english, but i will try it

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    it gives you a good warm and fuzzy feeling inside.. zz but seriously it does
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    Debate is overrated BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I donated to most of the trackers i'm a member of.
    It's only fair to do so.

I have a question though: is it different to donate directly via paypal account than to do it via the paypal link and writing down your name and cc?
    I mean are those personal infos given out when making the payment or are they hidden like if you had an actual paypal account?
    Thank you.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    dangermouse1's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +4
    jump on the most populer torrents early and youll soon get your upload where u want it it just means keeping a good eye on your torrent sites

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by anto View Post
    i think it Is worth it to donate to private trackers to keep the site going or would ur rather the site go down?
    If a new site is asking users to donate, because otherwise they will lose the server, I think it's definitely not worth to donate or support this site. A site has to proof that it is worth financial support. Why should I support some wannabe people in their dream to have their own tracker?

If it's a really good site with a good history and good administration, I would prefer buying upload credit instead of making it even harder to seed for other users by adding yet another seedbox to the swarms. But first of all I would try to get a better home connection, even if I this means that I have to pay premium prices. If that's not possible for some reason, I would have no problem to donate, even if some of the donations are maybe used by the site admin for his own advantage. A good admin deserves the money for the risk he takes and the time he spends by running a good tracker for years.

A seedbox is only necessary for regular uploaders or people who want to spend 20+ hours a week in bittorrents IMO.

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by newswalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anto View Post
    i think it Is worth it to donate to private trackers to keep the site going or would ur rather the site go down?
    If a new site is asking users to donate, because otherwise they will lose the server, I think it's definitely not worth to donate or support this site. A site has to proof that it is worth financial support. Why should I support some wannabe people in their dream to have their own tracker?

If it's a really good site with a good history and good administration, I would prefer buying upload credit instead of making it even harder to seed for other users by adding yet another seedbox to the swarms. But first of all I would try to get a better home connection, even if I this means that I have to pay premium prices. If that's not possible for some reason, I would have no problem to donate, even if some of the donations are maybe used by the site admin for his own advantage. A good admin deserves the money for the risk he takes and the time he spends by running a good tracker for years.

A seedbox is only necessary for regular uploaders or people who want to spend 20+ hours a week in bittorrents IMO.
    Well said. I agree with most of what you said except the last part. People have seedboxes for one real purpose and that is to seed. Whether they spend a few hours dealing with torrents or 10+, it's not the same for everyone. A seedbox helps many give back and buffer their accounts.

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
    it gives you a good warm and fuzzy feeling inside.. zz but seriously it does

Try to remember, friends and family are important,this stuff is just a pleasant diversion.
    If your spending too much time worrying about this you should reevaluate your priorities.The sunshine's still free after all.
    And buy the occasional game or movie. Saves on bandwidth and great art deserves supporting(sorry don't hit me).

Seedboxes are another form of elitism. The best ratio is no more than 2:1 allows other people a chance to seed.I willing to be proven wrong though.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    GoldStoNe's Avatar Elite Member BT Rep: +2
    Hmm.. it seems that more member here prefer donation over buying seedboxes. Just curious, which site in your opinion has the best deal of upload credit per $? A known tracker has a promo now of double up [60gb for 15€; 100gb for 25€; etc.] Is it true that there are pay-to-leech sites? I heard of sites where you can "donate" to join them or even get invites for your friends..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast