Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CD burner doesn't burn at 52x

is it an external drive? i've hear of external burners that are rated a certain speed, but you can only get half the speed with USB, and to gett the ful speed you need to use firewire. just a thought

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by purelykhaotic@6 August 2003 - 17:03
    I bought a new 52x CD-R. When i first bought it the damn thing only burned at 32x with Nero, Nero Express, Easy CD Creator 4, and Easy CD Creator 5 Plat.

NOW the bastard only burns at 16x!!! WHY...and more importantly how do i fix it!?
    u got scammed

return the shit for ur money back

nothing, *NOTHING* writes at 52X and be successful

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    jonathan_tijuana's Avatar ...
    james_bond_rulez
    *NOTHING*writes at 52X and be successful

what do you mean by that? that anything you burn at that speed is not successful?

if is that i had burned some cds at that speed and everything was just good.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@6 August 2003 - 22:23
    james_bond_rulez
    *NOTHING*writes at 52X and be successful

what do you mean by that? that anything you burn at that speed is not successful?

if is that i had burned some cds at that speed and everything was just good.
    damn rich ppl ;D

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Ex-member
    52x burners work fine at full speed:

If you have the right media
    If it has the correct drivers installed
    If your computer is capable of transferring data to the burner at that speed

your problem is most likely one of the the above.

And I'm editing your topic title as is it offensive - you may not have meant for it to be, but it is.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Let's not forget DMA/PIO settings.... you might want to check the cdrom properties in device manager.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Uhh check your cd-r/cd-rws like the cd-r's i use the memorex ones are only 48x and the cd-rws are only 4x
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Another point to remember is that until recently nearly all writers worked on constant linear velocity (CLV) whilst writing, but use constant angular velocity (CAV) when reading. This gives the opportunity to read much faster at the outer edges of the cd than at the centre, but the recording rate is constant throughout.

The drives which have recently come on to the market now use CAV for recording, which allows them to record at higher rates at the outer edges compared to the centre. So whilst they are physically capable of recording at 52x speed, they only do so at the outer edges of the cd, inner areas are likely to be recorded at much lower speeds (perhaps only 16x), and the average for a full cd will be nowhere near 52x, perhaps 32x or even worse..

If you are measuring performance by the time it takes to record the disk, this may be the effect you are observing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    The drives which have recently come on to the market now use CAV for recording, which allows them to record at higher rates at the outer edges compared to the centre. So whilst they are physically capable of recording at 52x speed, they only do so at the outer edges of the cd, inner areas are likely to be recorded at much lower speeds (perhaps only 16x), and the average for a full cd will be nowhere near 52x, perhaps 32x or even worse..

very well put

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    As for the 52x thing, I believe I remember reading an article that the CD writers, and CD's are really more writing and reading at 50x, and were not likely to see the number go much higher than that with current CD technology, because at any higher, the CD's become unstable ans begin to break and fly apart.

Just what I read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast