Thread: wtf is going on with rapidshare

LegendaryU2K's Avatar "Respect all Women"
    Recently it has been getting harder to download anything from their site. They keep changing the stupid codes to enter for you to download. Now they have something really stupid, stupid cats and dogs signs and i was told you have to enter the letters only with the cats, but i can hardly seem the cats. ugh

I'm really starting to turn away from rapidshare.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    It's problematic, but I can understand that they do it.
    Rapidshare only generates revenue through premium accounts, they have no external advertisement.

Many 'leech-kiddies' download about 10 - 20 GB a day without really thinking about it.
    They just want the files faster, they would never pay or help.
    Also not much effort needed, the automatic programs do it on their own. Just install, drop links and let it run.

Rapidshare can't pay all that servers and carriers if everybody would just leech off them for free..

The problem is, at the moment a large amount of resources is used up by those people who download heavily without paying.
    They just use their downloading tools and see no point in buying premium service.
    While free-users have ridicolous waiting times, those fetch files one after another, without doing anything themselves.

Therefore, they now try everything to fight those tools.
    On the one hand they improved protection, on the other they started happy hours to help the occasional user.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    where are these programs that download for you....

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    where are these programs that download for you....
    Many are from Germany, that's the origin of rapidshare and the service is very popular there.
    They are developed / maintained at Gulli Board, huge german community for File Exchange and the like.

In the past there were also very good ones from Russia, but afaik they didn't really keep up with it.
    I also saw one from Israel, but doesn't look that trustworthy in my opinion.

All the rest doesn't work anymore or is trojan contaminated script-kiddie stuff.
    Oh and then there are also commercial ones, very mystical..

It might well be I don't know all, but I'd say this is pretty much it.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    LegendaryU2K's Avatar "Respect all Women"
    Either way i understand what you are saying, but still pretty much stupid. I really don't see any point in changing how you enter codes. I don't mind waiting, but entering stupid looking codes with cats and dogs or whatever is just stupid.

Also, i don't use credit cards and neither do i use paypal, so unless they take money orders i won't be buying a premium account.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryU2K View Post
    I really don't see any point in changing how you enter codes.
    Until today the automated tools are unable to leech on their own if the cats/dogs are activated..

About the payment, you can pay them using Wire-Transfer. Don't know if you could make use of that.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    wazza100's Avatar Meh BT Rep: +2
    it's always been a site for premium users- just get a premium acct to avoid all the hassle(it's a crap site to use otherwise)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    LvrPool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I agree. Soon enough I'm just going to buy one of their accounts.

40Mbit DL / 10Mbit UL

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    TrackerDaddy's Avatar The Chief BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Thats why you need a premium acc. i think they should stop free leeching anyway and those "free leechers" are enjoying bandwidth paid by others. also one of the reasons there is a free leech at all is a part of their advertisement and there is no need for that anymore, RS.com is already known as the biggest and fastest file host in the world.

btw, i was curious about that free leech programs although i have premium acc, and i can tell you for sure, the israeli program is working 100% with a captcha database of its own and a redialer option.