Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: thoughts on this new rig

  1. #1

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    For an extra $10 or $20 you could get either an e8400 (lower power consumption, higher clock) or go for a Q6600 if you want quad. In either case a much better CPU can be had for not much more money.
    Also don't count on doing much gaming on that 8600GT, maybe some light gaming but not many new games on decent settings.
    Good RAM and motherboard though.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiweiler View Post
    For an extra $10 or $20 you could get either an e8400 (lower power consumption, higher clock) or go for a Q6600 if you want quad. In either case a much better CPU can be had for not much more money.
    Also don't count on doing much gaming on that 8600GT, maybe some light gaming but not many new games on decent settings.
    Good RAM and motherboard though.
    yea, i was looking at the e8400 too. i was just worried newegg wouldn't have it in stock when it came time to order. i was just trying to keep the cost as low as possible, but if there are significant benefits then i'll upgrade.

    when it comes to gaming it really isn't an issue. i think they play sim city and old COD more than stuff like crysis.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    What about cooling? I'm guessing you don't plan to overclock at all?
    If looking for really low cost, you could always get an Intel E2180 or something and push it to 3Ghz or so with a half decent cooler if you don't mind overclocking...
    Just an idea.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    What OS?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiweiler
    What about cooling? I'm guessing you don't plan to overclock at all?
    If looking for really low cost, you could always get an Intel E2180 or something and push it to 3Ghz or so with a half decent cooler if you don't mind overclocking...
    Just an idea.
    no overclocking. and i was hoping to get by with stock cooling aside from a few case fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    What OS?
    because of the whole gaming deal i was thinking of trying to convince them to just stick with xp for now, but they were asking about vista. i could go either way. if i did choose vista it would be 32 bit. how does either option affect the hardware?
    Last edited by lee551; 04-12-2008 at 04:32 AM.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Dude DEFF go for the E8400 you can EASILY OC it to 3Ghz on that board with the stock cooler

    Fuck Vista-the end

    Also I would say this Vid card because Evga is way better than MSI and it's only 5 bucks more but after the rebate it's 5 bucks cheaper
    EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

    Also for $20 bucks more you could get this Gskill ram

    G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

    Now I know this is a slower ram but if your not going to OverClock it doesn't make a difference.

    What sort of total price range do you have? Is this for you or a friend/customer?

    Also I still have that PSU. I had it and people will say it sucks but it lasted 3 years on many many different rigs and still works fine today but I have recently upgraded to the Corsair 620W modular
    Last edited by Detale; 04-12-2008 at 05:04 AM.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Dude DEFF go for the E8400 you can EASILY OC it to 3Ghz on that board with the stock cooler

    Fuck Vista-the end

    Also I would say this Vid card because Evga is way better than MSI and it's only 5 bucks more but after the rebate it's 5 bucks cheaper
    EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

    Also for $20 bucks more you could get this Gskill ram

    G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

    Now I know this is a slower ram but if your not going to OverClock it doesn't make a difference.

    What sort of total price range do you have? Is this for you or a friend/customer?

    Also I still have that PSU. I had it and people will say it sucks but it lasted 3 years on many many different rigs and still works fine today but I have recently upgraded to the Corsair 620W modular
    like i said in the first post, i'm building two pcs with probably the same specs for my brothers. i was trying to keep it around 600, and i think it's over 650 now. i think upgrading to the e8400 would be good, but i don't know if 4gb of ram is worth the addition 20 bones. any *noticeable* increase? these boxes will never be benchmarked more than once and i'm trying to cut back a bit, not really add on.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Um dude I just re-read you 1st post and I see no amt anywhere.
    Anyhoo, all in all looks A-Ok to me but I would still say you should go for the Wolfdale CPU and the Evga Vid card instead of MSI

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,867
    yea, i just meant the bit about building it for my bros.
    i'll take you word for the evga over the msi. i don't really keep up with gfx cards much. do all pci-e cards have an extra power connection, or is that only used for higher-end cards?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •