Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Error message: process cannot access.....

Poster
    I have been having frequent problems with the following error message ending my downloads:

Error: the process cannot access the file because the file is being used by another process

I have not seen a pattern to this until today. Here's what happened. I was downloading four episodes of a show. One completed and showed up as usual in my download folder. But, it disappeared from Bittorrent after it completed instead of staying there to seed.

Just a minute or less after this, the other three episode downloads stopped with the error message (above) popping up.

The four episode file names all begin with the same words and punctuation. I mention this because I am wondering if it has anything to do with the error message occuring.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    HDR's Avatar SEED.OR.DiE-GOT.iT ? BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Whats is your client?
    Are you using a beta/alpha version?

Try to restart your PC, because if it says it's being used by another process is probably because you have 2 instances of the same client running, then that error will appear...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Aether's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    What client are you using?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    I am using bittorrent, but I have limewire and emule running simultaneously.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    HDR's Avatar SEED.OR.DiE-GOT.iT ? BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    BitTorrent 6?

It's the same thing as uTorrent.

Close all the other P2P apps, and try again, also try to restart your PC.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    BitTorrent 6.03.
    I will close eMule and Limewire, reboot and see what happens.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    munkyboy04's Avatar Monkey Mafia BT Rep: +3
    I had the exact same problem. And it was because i was using google desktop. If you using any kind of file indexing software it causes utorrent to give that error. Try stoping that.
    Last edited by munkyboy04; 04-12-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Living Dead BT Rep: +2
    It can be also anti-virus checking your files when the p2p client is trying to overwrite it. Try to exclude your dl catalogue from av scan

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Original poster here:

I am waiting to see if it happens again after following suggestions of rebooting and not having any other P2P client running.

About Google desktop. I'm not sure what you mean. I use Google search engine, if that's what you mean. Can you explain further about what you mean by 'desktop'? And, sorry, I don't know what file indexing software means.

Thanks for the help so far.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by shokan View Post
    Original poster here:

I am waiting to see if it happens again after following suggestions of rebooting and not having any other P2P client running.

About Google desktop. I'm not sure what you mean. I use Google search engine, if that's what you mean. Can you explain further about what you mean by 'desktop'? And, sorry, I don't know what file indexing software means.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Okay, but make sure you won't open emule and Limewire again before you try to download (and finish it) something with BT.

About Google desktop is a bundle of applications i think, it has nothing to do with the Google search engine lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast