Thread: Is this ISP throttling?

Poster
    My ISP, Rogers of Canada, throttles P2P's. I have cable, medium-high broadband.
    Right now I am downloading an item that begins around 200 KB/s and then, over the course of a few minutes (5-20 minutes), goes down to around 5KB/s. I close eMule, wait a couple of minutes, re-open it and the download again begins at around 200 KB/s. A few minutes later it is back down to a crawl at around 5 KB/s. I've been doing this all evening, closing eMule, re-opening it. I'm getting the 700MB file downloaded OK this way, but it's a pain.
    Is this "fast start and slow descent to a crawl" the result of ISP throttling, or does it seem like something else?
    Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Sounds pretty suspicious to me, but from what I've heard there are several different methods used to interfere with torrent traffic. My ISP is a little less subtle. As soon as I start sharing, my entire connection (not just torrent traffic) drops from 4 Mbps to 250 Kbps, As soon as I close the torrent app, it goes back to normal.
    Have you noticed if the rest of your internet traffic is affected?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by shokan View Post
    My ISP, Rogers of Canada, throttles P2P's. I have cable, medium-high broadband.
    Right now I am downloading an item that begins around 200 KB/s and then, over the course of a few minutes (5-20 minutes), goes down to around 5KB/s. I close eMule, wait a couple of minutes, re-open it and the download again begins at around 200 KB/s. A few minutes later it is back down to a crawl at around 5 KB/s. I've been doing this all evening, closing eMule, re-opening it. I'm getting the 700MB file downloaded OK this way, but it's a pain.
    Is this "fast start and slow descent to a crawl" the result of ISP throttling, or does it seem like something else?
    Thanks.
    enable encryption in utorrent . and try to download a file from whether pvt tracker . or with good seeders from public tracker like thepiratebay . and check it .
    i dont think so ISP is throtting u . it may b the issue with emule or one if its servers u used to connect to the peers...
    if still u need help just shoot me a pm .

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Kinda sounds like they are..

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Try this test.http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php?

And like said make sure you're using encryption.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I'm on Rogers aswell and they're are not throttling me, but I've heard that they do throttle some places. Just take that test posted by IdolEyes787 to check if your area is effected
    I fap because I must!