Thread: Mp3 Re-compression

hello, i'm new on this board, so don't yell at me if this question's been answered already :) heh

ok my whole mp3 collection is in 192kbps, if i burn that on a cd, and someone wants to rip it back into mp3's at 192kbps, will there be quality loss? or will it be exactly the same as the original mp3 rip?

2. Music   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    well if u burned it as data it won't matter u wouldn't need to rip it again

personally I see no change in quality if you have burned it as audio then re enocded it again at 192 bit. som eppl may argue with me on that however

3. Music   -   #3
    yep that's what i meant, audio cd.

i'm not sure how audio compressions work but with some image compression each time you compress it you lose more and more data, until you end up with a horrible looking image. just want to know that the same deal doesn't apply to audio.

i have a feeling that it doesn't , that both original rip and secondary rip would be undistinguishable from each other. i don't know the exact terminology but with audio compression it would select a certain band and every time it would be the same. if someone can enlighten me and point to a few sites it'd be muchly appreciated

4. Music   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I don't know if this is 100% accurate...but here's my take on it:

If I download an mp3 album encoded @ 192kbps, then burn it as an audio CD (.cda), I have to rip the burned
    CD if I want the mp3's back (unless I wanna download it again).
    So if I rip the CD that I burned...say you rip em as .wav's, then encode them at a Constant Bit Rate of 192kbps...
    you're actually losing quality from the previous burn...does that make sense?

Because mp3 is a lossy codec, when it was originally encoded @ 192, some data was discarded.
    Then the 192kbps tracks were burned. If I then wanted to rip
    it, I'd either have to rip it @ 320, or leave it as a .wav, to have the same quality that it was originally (192).

If I encode the rips @192, it's probably gonna lose a little more than it did the original time it was encoded @192,
    unless I use exactly the same encoder, even then it would likely differ a bit.

I hope that makes sense. It's something I've wondered/thought about a time or two myself.
    I could be wrong.....any professional opinions?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Wouldn't it be easier to just burn the mp3's on a data disc?
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

6. Music   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    No good if you want to play it in a non-mp3 compatible player....
    but backing the mp3s up on a data disc is a good idea, and something I've practiced in the past.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free