Thread: Broadband Connection

I decided to open a new topic about this as i think i will get a better response (which is what we all want)

I am currently in the uk and connecting to freeserve through and alcatel speedtouch usb modem. Its fine, but it gets in the way.

I have an 'SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter' on my computer which has a socket in it that my phone line fits into. I just tried making a new connection and dialing up and the connections box says 'Connecting through WAN miniport (pppoe)

How would i go about setting up my internet connection to use my ethernet card or is it impossible?

As allways any feedback is appreciated,
    Jake

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    You can only connect to broadband with a broadband modem (surprise, surprise). Ethernet is a different technology, but there are broadband modems which have an ethernet connection instead of (or in addition to) usb.

But I assume from your post that you don't want another external box so the other alternative is to get a pci broadband modem.

But you certainly can't connect your ethernet adapter to the phone line. First off, the connectors are not the same. Secondly, if you manage to make a successful physical connection you run the risk of severely damaging your ethernet card, the voltages used are incompatible.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    Yup. Ethernet is a technology for forming local area networks (LANs).

It uses Cat-5E UTP cabling, rather than phone cables.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Its not the phone line that connects (sorry i know i said it was). The phone line goes into a dsl filter like this

I have a phone in the place where the phone goes and its the cable that goes from 'ADSL RJ-11' that has the connections that fit into the ethernet adapter....
    Mabye that helps..........

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Infact this is my exact home setup

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bumpity bump, anyone have any ideas?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    As I said, you have to have some sort of broadband modem.
    The one you are showing in the bottom right of your picture is your current usb modem. You can change this for an external ethernet modem, but there would not be much point if the purpose is to get rid of an external box.
    The only other alternative would be an internal (pci) broadband modem which has the correct RJ-11 connector. Cost about £30.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=37969

internal adsl modem, this will get rid of your external modem, just put it in pci slot and take the phone wire out of usb modem and plug it into back of this one, if this is what you wanna do. or, just hide your current one under your desk

edit: bt/freeserve may also refuse to give u tech support as it may not be a suported modem, as with cables services in uk you have to use the suplied modems.