Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why do people cover their user names

Costello's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    privacy this is it

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam3rD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    Only those who have something to hide need to cover their usernames.
    qft.

I also hate when people ask me for invites and give me "censored" screenshots, that actually can be taken from someone else and therefore they doesn't mean shit.

It's a lot better when you ask that person to PM you his e-mail in 2-3 different trackers, he claims to be a member of.
    Exactly. I really don't know what to think of a screenshot with no tracker name, a couple of stats that really don't show me that's you and you're a good user. These forums probably have 10,000 available screenshots for people to just toss up there, especially if you edit them.

I use the same name pretty much everywhere. I show my username on proofs and the only thing I'll ever edit out is my IP address and my passkey. Like, for none of the trackers I've been lucky to receive lately, I offered no proofs of iTS whatsoever because I will not show a couple of little boxes from my profile page filled in with numbers and scribbles.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Right ghurka, because downloading illegal material from the internet isn't something to hide?

Of course you need to hide your usernames. If you get involved in a RIAA/MPAA bust later on, this kind of naïve mistake will make it that much easier for you to get a visit by people you don't want to know.

Think about it FFS.

If people are so anal about your ratio proofs, they can ask you to PM them the usernames and proper with-username proofs. There's no need to be flashing yourself about like that. It's unsafe, not only because some trackers ban GA's or whatever, but most importantly because should a hacker try to fux you, he can much easierly go for it if he knows your usernames on all trackers. And if you don't change your password much, then, well, go change it now

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    keep their privacy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123