Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name some good modern Hindi artists please

Hi Guys

I like the sound of some modern Hindi music. I am a westerner. But the drum beats are nice.

Can someone give the names of a few modern Hindi artists ?

Regards

Digby
    NZ
    What color is your Adkaf ?

2. Music   -   #2
    hi digmen!

o.k. for starters, what kind of hindi music have you heard so far...anything to give me a clue about what you're into. once i know, i can suggest stuff for you. because there's lots of different types of hindi music...there's film music, there's hindustani classical, there's bhangra, pop etc...

3. Music   -   #3
    Thanks Arvind

I want some of the lastest hindi music that comes on CDs. It has nice drum beats and often feautures girls backing the main singer with high voices.

I do not have any Hindi music at all now. So just want what the young kids like eg teenagers, early 20's etc.

Skukrhiyah

Digby

Digby]

4. Music   -   #4
    hey digmen!

o.k...i'm not a teenager anymore, neither am i in my early 20s, so i have no idea what they are listening to now. but from what you describe, i think i can try to make a few suggestions:

1.) try anything by himesh reshammiya: he's one of the hottest music directors in bollywood now.
    2.) try the soundtracks of the movies "bunty aur babli", "Meenaxi: Tale of 3 Cities", "Taal", "Dhoom" (there are two parts), "musafir", "lagaan".
    3.) if you don't mind a little older stuff, i'd recommend anything by music director duo: nadeem-shravan; just google and i'm sure you'll find them.
    4.) if you want to try bhangra, start with daler mehndi
    5.) for older, groovy stuff with great beats and funky riffs, try the music of R.D.Burman.

this should start you off...

once you get into the groove, i can help you better, as i'll have some reference points!

Namaste!

5. Music   -   #5
    Thanks for that Arvind.

I have tried a few of your suggestions, but found them a little boring so far.

I have found Miss Poojar and Shina Shonki and Geeta Zalidar who seem to be more "modern".

Any more suggestions, I like those good modern Indian drum beats.

6. Music   -   #6
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Mehdi is very good modern hindi-inspirational tunes.

Search for it on the Mule.

7. Music   -   #7
    digmen1:
    I have found Miss Poojar and Shina Shonki and Geeta Zalidar who seem to be more "modern".
    villageshaman:
    Mehdi is very good modern hindi-inspirational tunes.
    You know what, this is unbelievable, but i have never even heard of these guys! I'm sure they're performing purely for the foreign market, because no one listens to them here! (i also checked with a few younger friends to be sure).
    So maybe we can exchange roles, huh? You guys suggest, and i'll listen...

oh, ok...i just called up a friend from punjab [this is punjabi music (Bhangra) from north india], and he says, yes they are quite popular with the locals there(but definitely not on their favourites list) , especially in the smaller towns. this is old-style bhangra, mixed in with modern beats.
    surprisingly, they are hardly known outside punjab, even in india. where i stay, nobody has heard of them...but that's india for you...
    anyway, now i have some idea of your taste, so maybe when i come across something like this, i will let you know.

cheers!
    Last edited by arvind_sampath; 04-25-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Music   -   #8
    Hi Arvind

Thanks you are right.

I work in a place where there are quite a few Sihks and they play their music CD's and I got to like their beats etc. They call it Bhangra music.

So my question should have been "tell me some good Bhangra artists !"

9. Music   -   #9
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by arvind_sampath View Post
    yes they are quite popular with the locals there(but definitely not on their favourites list) , especially in the smaller towns. this is old-style bhangra, mixed in with modern beats.
    surprisingly, they are hardly known outside punjab, even in india.
    I forgot to mention Mehdi is more instrumental, though it does have some female vocals.

Are you referring to Mehdi there arvind?

I really enjoy them, but I don't have the biggest experience in Hindi tunes/Bhangra styles.

10. Music   -   #10
    hi village shaman!

actually i was talking about the artists digmen was mentioning he'd discovered...like miss poojar and shina shonki. they are from punjab and do sing bhangra, but they don't seem to be as popular here, as they are abroad. there are many artistes like this...most mentionable being pandit prannath, for hindustani classical...he seems to be the first name on every (international) hindustani listener's list, but is unknown here in india.

coming to mehdi, something tells me that it might be a similar story...because i, for one, have never heard the name, and the few bhangra listeners among my friends haven't either.

so maybe you know more about mehdi than i do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast