Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Ironic how BT is becomming like the Scene

I don't mind private trackers at all, there are way too many dorks out there who have no idea of what they're doing. What I do mind though, are those who believe they're some kind of elite or ubermench or whatever just because they are member or some 0-day site. All it takes is a bit of patience and some time to spare.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    really it's just life. People in the BT world are worried about being busted or even having their nice little communities invaded by traders or collectors so they try and protect it. imo it's not BT turning into the scene it's just BT reflecting human nature. Humans migrate into tribes they don't like invaders so they work to protect themselves.

BT is still the p2p for the masses just look how popular the piratebay or mininova are. Most people in rl I know use that as there form of file sharing. It's just that when a community only has a few thousand members they feel like a family and they don't want that disrupted.

As for the scene well they has the goods that everyone wants so of course sites are going to up it. When people in BT can start getting movies shows and apps before they're released then well it will be a different interwbs.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    When people in BT can start getting movies shows and apps before they're released then well it will be a different interwbs.
    Heh I don't think so.

Some trackers have exclusive releases, but that's not the same as the scene release world.

The scene is like a machine. It is a bit like the matrix too, in that you never know where the heck they are. They are the true masters of disguise.

Nowadays it's much harder, since many ftp stops closed up shop, and napalm is a complete waste of time, so it's natural that people are flocking to the BT game at the truckload.

And yes I agree with everything else you said sear. Tribes.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    colombianino's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    it really doesn't matter, thinking about it, it IS easier to just join a scene group rather than go through a lot of trouble just to be in a tracker and worry about your ratio.

but then again, the scene groups usually want to keep their stuff low if you know what i mean. if it were up to them, i think they'd make a special tracker only for their releases (im sure there's one by now).

and when you are a part of the site, you help many others.

just depends on how you see it...
    There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.
    Albert Einstein

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by colombianino View Post
    but then again, the scene groups usually want to keep their stuff low if you know what i mean. if it were up to them, i think they'd make a special tracker only for their releases (im sure there's one by now).

Ironic that you should say that, but there used to be a topsite tracker that could only be accessed by senior uploaders and admin from torrent sites.

This place was run as a mechanism to allow scene releases to filter to the 0day sites.

Sadly, it was shut down when the MPAA started hitting torrent sites early 2005, and has never been rekindled.

Since then, a splinter group called AntiP2P has made it their mandate to ensure that scene material doesn't filter through to torrent sites.

Ironic that the scene once were the big brother to P2P, but now appears to be distancing themselves from that same media transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Well it does add to causing trouble and busts, so you gotta also see their PoV..

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    personally, looking at it from a safety point of view, its better to have a select few uploaders on priv sites than to allow all and sundry these rights, it allows a certain trust to be built between the sites users and the files they upload, reputation counts for a lot in this game, im not talking power trippers or anything im talking about reputation for uploading safe and quality files, thats what keeps ppl coming back for more, if you want to just download from anyone then you might as well use public trackers cos to me the safety aspect mounts to no more if anyone is allowed to upload, but thats just my opinion...plus the ppl who run and code these trackers put a lot of time into running these sites, so a good rep is very important to making the site work, how many ppl will return to a poorly run site with anyone and everyone uploading fakes, viruses etc, etc...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345