Thread: 22kbps Downloads

Poster
    hi, I have a friend that told me he suddenly has these "speed boosts" suddenly his comp is running with a regular dialup modem speed, but suddenly, some day u dial and you get 22kbps downloads! He uses a comp made by himself(clone), with an External Motorola Modem, The ISP is Avantel. (for mexico, you americans may know it best as WORLDCOM)

I was first freaked out; btw, i am still freaked out, the max i have ever gotten in downloads, kazaa or explorer is 7kbps, for a couple of seconds.

Edit: The modem is a Motorola Speed, i dont know what model, but i forgot to put that in.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i regularly get 43-44kbps downloads on a 56k modem
    however, i assume you're talking about 22kBps, in which case, i'm hugely sceptical...

do you happen to have any proof?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    no i dont have any proof. its not my computer. btw, hows that you get 44 kbps (kilobytes per second) pass me the tip&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    a lot of these so called super speeds can be for a lot of various reasons...1 that springs to mind is the files fake (put out by the RIAA)

or sometimes your phone line experiences bursts of speed which your isp can do nothing about

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    kBps = kilobytes per second
    kbps = kilobits per second

8 bits to a byte, so 56kbs equal 7 kBs.

You sometimes may appear to get higher speeds than normal for a few seconds - this is due to data building up in the Windows recieve buffer and being passed to the program in a lump, so the program thinks it&#39;s recieving the stuff faster than it actualy is.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@11 August 2003 - 17:13
    kBps = kilobytes per second
    kbps = kilobits per second

8 bits to a byte, so 56kbs equal 7 kBs.
    glad you chimed in so i didnt have to explain the difference.