Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop warranty

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Peerzy, you won't get a refund, but the place where you purchased it has to sort it out for you as in fix the problem or replace the laptop or if the model is not in stock they'll have to give you the closest model to it.
    The warranty for the laptop is not from the store, it's from the manufacturer. The only obligation the store is under is to handle the warranty if the customer chooses; anything above and beyond this is a bonus.
    Repair or replacement will be at the manufacturer's discretion.

Also, I didn't ask why you were going to 'go legal', I asked how.
    The sale is between you and the shop while the warranty is given by the manufacturer to you. The store itself will pass it on to the manufacturer for you but won't have to get it repaired if the manufacturer rejects your warranty claim.
    Actually, that's not strictly true; they can repair it or have someone else repair it but you'd have to pay.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I know the warrenty is not from the store it's from the manufacturer, but what I'm trying to say is, if your purchase goes pear shaped within the 1 year manufacture guarentee, you can bring it back to the store and they will have to send it back to the manufacturer for you. Or you could sent it back to the manufacturer yourself what ever is easier for yourself. But the store will have to send it back to the manufacture if you request them to. It's the law.
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Although the manufacturer may seem to be offering 12 months warranty, you actually have no contract with them. Your contract is with the supplier, it is up to them to sort things out. In legal terms, the supplier is offering 12 months warranty, which they in turn get from the manufacturer.

I assume that you bought the laptop from CCL (not CLL at you've quoted). I've dealt with them extensively for quite a few years, and I'm pretty sure they will do their best to sort the problem out for you. I've taken things back only days before the 12 months warranty has expired and they've replaced the item without a murmur. They really will help you if they can. Their suggestion to send the laptop back to Acer is simply to try to speed things up, but I'm not sure how that stands from a legal point of view.

I don't know the model in question, but I know that the optical drives in most laptops are easily removed. If you explain that you can't be without the laptop for an extended period maybe they will let you just send the drive back.

My suggestion is to give them a ring on their Customer Service number (01274 471206) and ask them what the options are, and (assuming the drive is easily removed) try to find out if that's an alternative.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Although the manufacturer may seem to be offering 12 months warranty, you actually have no contract with them. Your contract is with the supplier, it is up to them to sort things out. In legal terms, the supplier is offering 12 months warranty, which they in turn get from the manufacturer.

I assume that you bought the laptop from CCL (not CLL at you've quoted). I've dealt with them extensively for quite a few years, and I'm pretty sure they will do their best to sort the problem out for you. I've taken things back only days before the 12 months warranty has expired and they've replaced the item without a murmur. They really will help you if they can. Their suggestion to send the laptop back to Acer is simply to try to speed things up, but I'm not sure how that stands from a legal point of view.

I don't know the model in question, but I know that the optical drives in most laptops are easily removed. If you explain that you can't be without the laptop for an extended period maybe they will let you just send the drive back.

My suggestion is to give them a ring on their Customer Service number (01274 471206) and ask them what the options are, and (assuming the drive is easily removed) try to find out if that's an alternative.
    It was CCL yes. I've been through both parties now and both lead me to the same door which was to send it back to Acer. Acer came and collected the Laptop from me yesterday and emailed me to say they have recieved it. Only thing that worries me is that if it isn't a hardware fault but a software or something I've done they will charge me £37 to get my laptop back

I installed a brand new copy of XP and then a brand new copy of Nero and tried to burn some dummy files and it spent about 5 minutes making noises and clicking before failing on 3%.

I saved the nero log and included the dvd in the package I sent to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12