Thread: Posting expenses from USA

The Company BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8

Question Mark

Hello everyone

I live in Portugal and I've got a friend living in the USA who I asked to send me components to my new pc, but I need some advice. For instance is there any risk that I have to pay extra money besides the posting expenses? I've heard that when sending a package abroad from USA they have to declare it as a gift to avoid some kind of extra tax...

Cheers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I haven't done anything like this, but as far as I can tell if you don't tell anyone then there will not be any other monies paid, on the other hand I don't know what the consequences would be if they find out either so I don't know maybe call up your local post office and ask someone there.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    The sender has to fill out a customs declaration form and attach it to the package. The information includes a description of the goods, the value, and whether it is commercial or a gift. If it is marked as a gift there is a higher limit below which you don't pay VAT.

Since you are importing from outside the EU, you may have to pay customs duty. The amount varies from 0% to 25% of the value depending on the type of goods and where it is being imported from. You won't have to pay customs duty if it is less than a certain amount (£7 in UK, so I guess about €10 in Portugal).

You have to pay VAT if the value is above a certain figure (commercial - £18, gift £36 in UK, so I guess about €25/€50 in Portugal).

If they don't put a customs declaration on the package it will almost certainly be opened, you will probably be charged for repacking and the package will be delayed or possibly even seized.

You will lose the duty and vat exemptions if there is no customs declaration or if it is incorrect (for example if it is marked as a gift and it is clearly a commercial transaction).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Damn Lynx What do you smuggle drugs on the side too!?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The Company BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Detale LOOL

Thanks for the help lynx!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Damn Lynx What do you smuggle drugs on the side too!?
    I've received a few things from outside the EU, and had problems when one of them didn't have a customs declaration. So I decided to found out what the rules were.

AFAIK the sender should be able to get a customs form at any major post office (and maybe minor ones depending on the country).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.