Thread: SATA Question

BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    ok i bought 2 Seagate 500Gb Sata, plus WD 160gb which i had it before and my windows is installed on it...

so as i heard these sata drives dont need those jumper craps its more like plug and play, but there was a jumper on both of new drives but they were for speed cap which i removed them to get full 3gb/s speed, anyway my problem is at 1st few hours when i plug new drives windows comes up and everything is good, i can see new drives and store files on them, but since last day when ever i restart; on bootup after windows loading bar i get BSOD and it restarts, i can get through on safe mode but not on normal mode, i have to restore my backup which hasn't these new drives on it then only my windows comes up, it happened same on next restoration so i had to restore the backup again, but... it only happened when i installed SP1 on vista, since my copy is pirated(the early pirated ones) can it be that sp1 is screwing around? or there is some kind of cable setup for the drives? cuz i just plugged them randomly.

here is a screen from my setup:

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    pifpaf's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    funny... maybe a sata driver incompability with SP1? try to update the chipset drivers. there is no need to configure any HD settings, just connect the sata cables and power on,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Where are drives E:, G: and H:?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dont know m8, thats how windows formated the drives.
    is that relevant?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Dunno, maybe.

Here's what I would do...
    -transfer any data you care about to one of the new 500GB drives.
    -unplug all of the drives except the one you want the OS on.
    -also unplug any USB ports/devices (this includes the USB ports on the casefront).
    -you should now have just the one harddrive and one optical device connected to the motherboard.

-reinstall Windows- a full, fresh install, not an image overlay- after wiping the drive down to just the one partition you want for Windows (completely wipe the drive of old partitions and create a new one if that's how you want it. Leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned for the moment). You could make your life simpler by creating a nLite disk with drivers and service pack(s) slipstreamed before you begin.
    - now, with Windows installed, you should have the OS on C: and the CD/DVD drive as D:.

- decide how many other partitions and drives you will have finally.
    - go to Disk Management and change the optical drive's letter to fall at the end of the list (example: you have C: partition of 25GB on the small WD drive and the rest will be another partition. You'll also be adding two more drives with one partition apiece, so that will make the optical drive G:...eventually).
    - reboot.
    - go back to Disk Management and create the second partition on the small WD drive- this will be D:.

-turn off the machine and hook up the two remaining new SATA drives. They should show up as E: & F: when you reenter Windows.

-now you can turn her off one last time and rehookup the USB ports which will show up as H: and up (depending on how many you have).

So now all your drives are labeled sequentially and Windows should not be confused any more.

Maybe.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no need for all of that, apparently lots of users who installed sp1 on vista are getting similar BSOD for variety of reasons.
    is windows digging its own grave faster and faster? sp1 is supposed to fix stuff not to ruin it.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'm running Vista x64 SP1 with no issues at all.

Weird, huh?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well am on x86

Benjamen button

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    pifpaf's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    im running vista ultimate sp1 x86 with no issues... but i didnt installed sp1, i used a dvd with sp1 integrated to install the OS.