Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TorrentSpy Slapped with $110 Million Judgement

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "TorrentSpy has been ordered to pay a $110 million fine by a federal judge in Los Angeles. The BitTorrent site was found guilty on the charges of copyright infringement of several movie studios represented by the MPAA."

"This default judgment is the result of an ongoing court case between the MPAA and Valence Media, TorrentSpy owner Justin Bunnel’s company, that started early 2006. It is uncertain at this point whether TorrentSpy will appeal.

Unsurprisingly, MPAA’s Dan Glickman was very pleased with the outcome of the case that lasted over two years, as he said:

"This substantial money judgment sends a strong message about the illegality of sites. The demise of TorrentSpy is a clear victory for the studios and demonstrates that such pirate sites will not be allowed to continue to operate without facing relentless litigation by copyright holders."

"The claims made by the MPAA in this case don’t stand up to any sort of scrutiny," says Andrew Norton, head of the US Pirate Party in a response. "It is also clear that our judicial system urgently needs some unbiased education in modern technical matters, as anyone that has watched this case knows the judge is out of her depth. What chance does justice have in that situation?""

Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    escuoop's Avatar ♥♥♥ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Wtf!!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Once more the heads of the film industry have displayed their greed and shown their contempt for the very people who support them.
    Aren't the profits lost by the studios to piracy inconsequential compared to the ill will that is generated by these cases.
    When the moguls can no longer afford private jets and Bentleys in the garages of their mansions then they might truly have cause for concern.
    And only then might I consider showing them any sympathy.
    R.I.P. Torrentspy.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Thats insane i would kill myself if that happened prob.. why that much i won't even make that in a life time wtf!

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    lolapa's Avatar Poster
    that... that.. that is just sick

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    sidepocket's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Oh man thats just impossible to pay.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    This is an epic miscarriage of justice - the judge is a retard.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Holy Shit!

Doesn't look too good for TorrentSpy..

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    I agree our justice system needs unbiased education, who expects these judges to even be able to conceptualize what this sort of file sharing entails. All they see numbers of cash lost due to these sites, and how they facilitate this kind of file sharing.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    TorrentSpy is in bankruptcy and they will never pay that fine. This is just another scare tactic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast