Thread: Secure in the USA

who knows... BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8

Question Mark

Hi everyone,

I'm going to the USA soon for 6 months and will have a internet connection provided by Cox Communications. Location will be Arizona.

I was wondering if it's safe to download in the USA using these methods:

- Torrent using RC4
    - Usenet without encryption
    - Usenet with SSL 256bit
    - HTTP downloads (rapidshare etc)
    - FTP downloads

I would be grateful if you could tell me which of these are safe to use and don't get throttled by the ISP.
    I cannot choose another ISP.

And if I get caught downloading can they sue(or fine me or punish me in any way) me since I'm not an American citizen? I'm from Europe

Kopy
    Thanks in advance

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Well, of course I'm sure there's a risk. But I've been living in the US all my life, and have been downloading through torrents(all private sites though) for the past two years, and usenet the past couple months. And have never gotten even a single email from my ISP for anyone else.

So I wouldn't worry about it. Download away.

Also, about them being able to punish you since you're not a US citizen...I have no idea.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Just remember to bring a good book in case you end up on Guantanamo.

The safest option will always be the one where you don't share yourself no matter where you are.

If you get caught you'll end up with a trial in US but I don't know if they'll keep you in jail before that.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Although news.west.cox.net is also located in Arizona and allows 4 connections, your maximum download speed is limited by the terms of the outsource contract that Cox Cable has with Highwinds Media.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    - Torrent using RC4 <- Unsecure. With RC4 I don't think your ISP can see what your downloading but anyone can join the torrent swarm and see your IP address in the list. Anyone could connect, such as RIAA for example.

- Usenet without encryption <- Safer than bittorrent but isp could still see what your downloading if they really want to (i doubt they would). You also do not connect to anyone else, only your news server.

- Usenet with SSL 256bit <- Secure. Usenet itself is legal and with ssl connection no one can see what your downloading. Only your news server would be able to but i dont think any of them log downloads at all. You also do not connect to anyone else, only your news server.

- HTTP downloads (rapidshare etc) <- Pretty safe, doubt you would get caught downloading from there (depending on what site though i guess). Only your ISP and the site (rapidshare) would be able to see what your downloading and i dont think they would care lol

- FTP downloads <- Depends what type of ftp, public ftp probably aint that secure. Scene ftp would be very secure but its unlikely to get access lol.

I would say Usenet with SSL is probably the most secure. No one has ever been busted downloading from usenet (afaik), ssl just makes it even more secure. Not even your ISP or anyone other than your news server would be able to see what your downloading. Some servers also allow other ports, like port 80 (whats used to access websites etc) so unless they throttle http traffic (and i seriously doubt they do) then you should be fine. Though most isps dont throttle normal port 119 (usenet) anyway.

Im not just saying that because I love usenet. My nick is TorrentGuy, I used to love torrents. Then I discovered usenet.

Last edited by torrentguy; 05-14-2008 at 05:24 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    who knows... BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post
    - Torrent using RC4 <- Unsecure. With RC4 I don't think your ISP can see what your downloading but anyone can join the torrent swarm and see your IP address in the list. Anyone could connect, such as RIAA for example.

- Usenet without encryption <- Safer than bittorrent but isp could still see what your downloading if they really want to (i doubt they would). You also do not connect to anyone else, only your news server.

- Usenet with SSL 256bit <- Secure. Usenet itself is legal and with ssl connection no one can see what your downloading. Only your news server would be able to but i dont think any of them log downloads at all. You also do not connect to anyone else, only your news server.

- HTTP downloads (rapidshare etc) <- Pretty safe, doubt you would get caught downloading from there (depending on what site though i guess). Only your ISP and the site (rapidshare) would be able to see what your downloading and i dont think they would care lol

- FTP downloads <- Depends what type of ftp, public ftp probably aint that secure. Scene ftp would be very secure but its unlikely to get access lol.

I would say Usenet with SSL is probably the most secure. No one has ever been busted downloading from usenet (afaik), ssl just makes it even more secure. Not even your ISP or anyone other than your news server would be able to see what your downloading. Some servers also allow other ports, like port 80 (whats used to access websites etc) so unless they throttle http traffic (and i seriously doubt they do) then you should be fine. Though most isps dont throttle normal port 119 (usenet) anyway.

Im not just saying that because I love usenet. My nick is TorrentGuy, I used to love torrents. Then I discovered usenet.

Thanks, getting acces to scene FTP's is no problem