Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secure in the USA

who knows... BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8

Question Mark

Hi everyone,

I'm going to the USA soon for 6 months and will have a internet connection provided by Cox Communications. Location will be Arizona.

I was wondering if it's safe to download in the USA using these methods:

- Torrent using RC4
    - Usenet without encryption
    - Usenet with SSL 256bit
    - HTTP downloads (rapidshare etc)
    - FTP downloads

I would be grateful if you could tell me which of these are safe to use and don't get throttled by the ISP.
    I cannot choose another ISP.

And if I get caught downloading can they sue(or fine me or punish me in any way) me since I'm not an American citizen? I'm from Europe

Kopy
    Thanks in advance

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I know people are always talking about how unsafe it is in the US to download this and that... but I'd say the United States make up a great portion of the downloading community.. anyone who knows how to work a computer enough to download, does download and people rarely have issues with the law. Don't worry about getting caught, if worse comes to worse Cox will send you a letter and tell you to stop.
    The only people who get sued are those that download off of Limewire, and they only get caught every once in a while when the RIAA wants to scare people.

Edit: As for throttling, I have no experience with Cox, but I believe there is a way to work around it. If I think of where I read it, I'll be sure to post it here.
    Last edited by Grind$oFine; 05-12-2008 at 11:04 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    phrenzy's Avatar Baked BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Again I have the same ISP and have had no issues at all.....Great speeds btw.....No throttling....

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    You'll be fine, I would advise against using huge amounts of bandwidth though, maybe try to keep your total transfer under 300gb/month

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    dl only what you own to backup, if scratched-ect..Something bout a moving rating-program,( Ask around-hint hint.lol) not sure? Saw posted in here, how to be more secure with BT.? Just do not visit shady sites(which i do not advise ever to do.)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by slimdogp View Post
    You'll be fine, I would advise against using huge amounts of bandwidth though, maybe try to keep your total transfer under 300gb/month
    Most ISP's that I've worked with are more concerned with total download and not worried about upload much. This is becuase they cap the upload so low that its almost impossible to transfer to much by uploading.
    I would agree to keep your download below 300GB though, I shoot for <250 myself.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    who knows... BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    You guys are some serious back-up, scratched cd DL'ers
    I only do at a Max 30 to 50 gigs a month

thanks for all the replies

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    just don't use kaaza or limewire.

and if you still feel unsafe don't use public trackers.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Found that Cox throttles high usage accounts..dunno what they call high usage tho...

http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad...tes_of_America

You can prolly find out all you want here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi

Hope this helps!

@phrenzy...I'll be moving back to AZ soon prolly. What kind of speeds does Cox deliver? Thx...
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Most cable ISPs throttle in some form

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast