Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Just another snapshot of American politics

  1. #1
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    This isn't too far from the current reality...

    How Dare They Ask Dems Tough Questions?

    "Sen. Obama, you also oppose Bush tax cuts, and claim that they take money away from the Treasury. But President Kennedy signed across-the-board tax cuts in the 1960s and said, 'It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low -- and the soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut rates now.' Was he wrong?"

    I wrote that a few weeks before the Pennsylvania debate between Sens. Clinton and Obama. And ABC's Charlie Gibson, much to my surprise, asked Sen. Obama a similar question:

    "You have, however, said you would favor an increase in the capital gains tax. As a matter of fact, you said on CNBC, and I quote, 'I certainly would not go above what existed under Bill Clinton, which was 28 percent.' It's now 15 percent. That's almost a doubling if you went to 28 percent. But actually Bill Clinton in 1997 signed legislation that dropped the capital gains tax to 20 percent. And George Bush has taken it down to 15 percent. And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased. The government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down. So why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected?"

    Obama at first accepted the premise of Gibson's question -- that capital gains tax cuts actually generate more tax revenue. Obama said he considered the tax hike a matter of "fairness" -- that the rich need to pay more. But then he promptly contradicted himself. The tax hike, said Obama, will actually raise enough revenue to pay for his social programs -- including the government takeover of health care -- and pay down the federal debt. Huh?

    Gibson, as well as his co-host, George Stephanopoulos, caught flak from analysts and pundits for asking such a question, and for spending time on "trivial" matters like Obama's 20-year relationship with his racist, anti-Semitic, anti-American, conspiracy-believing pastor.

    I agree. We need more substantive questions:

    Sen. Clinton, at the risk of sounding sexist, why do carrot cakes taste sweet, but sweet cakes don't taste like carrots?

    Sen. Obama, given your concern about America's "chasm" and "divide" about racism, please explain Flavor Flav.

    Sen. Clinton, in your commercials, crises always occur at 3 a.m. Can you assure us that when you become president, you'll therefore sleep only during the day, and work only at night?

    Sen. Obama, they say the only thing that continues to grow when we get older are our noses and ears. Do you ever wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning, look in the mirror and go, "Yikes!"?

    Sen. Clinton, why does former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer have better taste in his mistresses than your husband?

    Sen. Obama, black former general manager and coach Isiah Thomas was recently fired. During Thomas' two-year tenure, his team went 33-49 one season, and 23-59 the next -- a franchise record-tying number of losses. A Knicks employee sued for sexual harassment, with the organization reportedly settling the case for $11.5 million. What steps will you take to get Thomas' job back?

    Sen. Clinton, in the event you and your husband return to the White House, would you make, to the American people, one solemn promise: all male interns?
    Sen. Obama, singer Alicia Keys says the government invented gangsta rap. She said it causes black rappers to kill each other, thus preventing the emergence of another "great black leader" like Tupac Shakur. Does this make Reverends Jackson and Sharpton insecure about their status as "great black leaders," since the government allows them to remain alive?

    Sen. Clinton, for her low-rated newscast, CBS' Katie Couric earns $15 million, more than her two network rivals. Since you support equal pay for equal work, should the Justice Department prosecute Couric?

    Sen. Obama, whom do you consider angrier at America? Your former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, or your wife, Michelle?

    Sen. Clinton, you said that you intend to return civility to the White House. Following that theme, what can you do as president to ensure that Britney Spears always wears panties?

    Sen. Obama, Canada, the United States and Mexico are contiguous countries. Yet you insist that NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, causes companies to ship jobs overseas. Will you, before the American people, tell us the grade you received in high school geography?

    Sen. Clinton, you say that you intend to fight the war on terror differently than President George W. Bush. There is a rumor that you intend to tell Islamofascists that the 72 brown-eyed virgins all look like former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. Is this true -- I mean about the rumor?

    Sen. Obama, if a tree falls in a forest and lands on a black lumberjack, does Al Sharpton make a sound?

    Feel free to use any or all, Charlie. Again, no charge.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,628
    Spectacular Q and A!



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    wtf

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    This isn't too far from the current reality...
    Seems to me the opening premise is faulty.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    This isn't too far from the current reality...
    Seems to me the opening premise is faulty.
    How so?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the states
    Age
    35
    Posts
    64
    In my personal opinion, rev. wright and questions like that are shit. Everyone knows already. I think what people were actually pissed about, me included, was at the last debate they spent the first hour to hour and a half hammering Obama about his pastor without asking one single question about any policy isssue. Not the war, not foreign relations, not taxes, nothing. That's stupid. I don't make a decision to vote or not to vote for a candidate on any personal issue, I look at their policy issues. After all, that's what we're "hiring" them for. This election is worse than a soap opera.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    惡魔的提倡者
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    743
    I agree with Cullen7282.

    All this focus on non issues instead of real problems is an insult those that fought so we could have free elections.
    The saying goes "Familiarity breeds contempt". It often appears that we take selecting the next "American Idol" more seriously than selecting a competent President.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post
    In my personal opinion, rev. wright and questions like that are shit. Everyone knows already. I think what people were actually pissed about, me included, was at the last debate they spent the first hour to hour and a half hammering Obama about his pastor without asking one single question about any policy isssue. Not the war, not foreign relations, not taxes, nothing. That's stupid. I don't make a decision to vote or not to vote for a candidate on any personal issue, I look at their policy issues. After all, that's what we're "hiring" them for. This election is worse than a soap opera.
    Did you notice the legitimate question (that is to say, the kind you would prefer) which kicked off the column?

    An excellent question, which drew a fumbling and incoherent response from Obama.

    The point of the column is precisely that tough policy questions require answers that are on-point, and the major media, by-and-large, wishes not to ask such questions because of the resultant hardship to their favored candidate (in this case, Obama).

    The column is making the case that, since difficult questions make candidates uncomfortable, and so are not to be asked, perhaps a default to the prurient might be favorable.

    I believe Mr. Elder is attempting to demonstrate the absurdity of the situation by posing his own questions.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    743
    Well the republicans were whining about the questions they were being asked so Is this a party issue for you?

    I have to be honest here, if any of the top 3 runners is getting a free ride with the media it has to be Sen. McCain.
    Sen. Obama Has been given wall to wall negative coverage because of people he has met in his life. Sen. McCains like for like connections are largely ignored and of the three if anyone can complain about having had every moment of their life analyzed for negative moments over the years it has to be Sen. Clinton.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Well the republicans were whining about the questions they were being asked so Is this a party issue for you?
    Not at all - could you describe for me the the situation (when, who, etc.) wherein the Republicans whined; I don't recall it precisely.

    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I have to be honest here, if any of the top 3 runners is getting a free ride with the media it has to be Sen. McCain.
    Sen. Obama Has been given wall to wall negative coverage because of people he has met in his life. Sen. McCains like for like connections are largely ignored and of the three if anyone can complain about having had every moment of their life analyzed for negative moments over the years it has to be Sen. Clinton.
    Your perception of McCain's having been given a "free pass" is owed to the fact he hasn't been subject to any serious media scrutiny (nor will he be until after the Democrat convention).

    The show Hillary and Barack are staging is too entertaining just now to permit a different focus.

    The media's only curiosity at this point is whether McCain might die of old age (the only point they've entertained, to date) before the convention.

    The media will deal with McCain in due course, mark my words.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •