Originally posted by nyk32820@13 August 2003 - 11:03
Road Runner
Networking Capability-Ethernet card with RJ45 connector, or Open slot and free compatible IRQ, or Open USB port.
All those have to do is how you can connect the modem to get onto the net.
All I have is a open USB port is that good enough or do I also need a Ethernet card with RJ45 connector?
An rj45 connector is merely the component that resides at the tip of the cat-5 cable so you can plug it into the ethernet card and modem jack. It looks just like the component at the tip of a phone cord and actually they are of the same family except the rj45 peice is a little bigger. The one on the phone cords is a rj??, I forget now. I had to learn all that junk in my cisco networking class, we actually had to make a cat-5 cable from scratch and attach an rj45 connector to both ends of it.

You shouldnt have to worry about that because unless your making the cat-5 yourself its gonna come with the rj45 connector attached to it so you can plug it in.

Usb ports suck when it comes to hooking up your cable modem. But they will work if your modem has a usb port to plug it into. Most of the times if you have more than one computer roadrunner gives you a router that you can hook up by usb and then cat-5 to your cable modem. I wouldnt us them if I were you. Besides a few wireless solutions available from roadrunner, ethernet cards are still the most efficient and preferred solution for most high speed cable customers.