Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updated Security Threat: Msblast.exe

Poster
    Here's an easy way to remove that worm!

W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool

If you don't (or do) have Norton AntiVirus installed, this free program will fix the problem for you.

XP users, carefully read the instructions. You'll need to temporarily disable Windows Restore.

Once the problem is fixed, even if you don't have the worm, the Norton program will direct you to the exact Microsoft web page for the free MS patch to download.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@12 August 2003 - 21:41
    The worm also attempts to perform a Denial of Service on windowsupdate.com. This is an attempt to disable your ability to patch you computer against the DCOM RPC vulnerability.
    I guess no one told the idiot author that trying to DoS any Microsoft site is pretty much useless. MS' servers are sitting on a pipe the size of Kansas, especially the Windows Update servers.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lol.

you don't no how big it is until someone says something like that

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    *sigh* the windows NT code is so troublesome but I don't want to go back to 9x code maybe Billy gates SHOULD stop making money and fix it's NT code
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@14 August 2003 - 04:48
    I guess no one told the idiot author that trying to DoS any Microsoft site is pretty much useless. MS' servers are sitting on a pipe the size of Kansas, especially the Windows Update servers.
    Well, when 300,000 people are doing the attack with all of their available bandwidth, it might not be as useless as you think. However, since MS knows about the attack, they could easily change the domain to point to 127.0.0.1, completely avoiding the attacks.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    This does not effect every windows user. It is only XP, NT, 2000 and 2003 Server. It exploits the hole that MS admitted to on 16th July this year.

The reason everyone knows abou it is that it is badly written. The XP systems realise that something is happening and they shut down for security. That way people know something is wrong and they look into it.

Had it been written better it would be more widely spread and the attack planned for the 16th would have been much more brutal.

It is easily fixed. Loads of people have released tools to do it. Try the Symantec site for an easy fix.

The main problem with XP is that it comes withe the Firewall swithced OFF by default and Universal Plug and Play switched ON.

I have said this many times before. Go to

www.grc.com

and get your ports checked. Also get UPnP closed and port 135 checked.

Just run the Shields Up tests.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Well, when 300,000 people are doing the attack with all of their available bandwidth, it might not be as useless as you think.
    Ehh... I'd be very surprised if the WU servers actually went down, regardless. Those servers probably deal with millions of downloads a day, without flinching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12