Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I download Lost, the TV series?

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Why do you need all of the answers explained to you.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I don't need all the answers explained to me but only getting more questions all the time doesn't give me a satisfied feeling and starts to get annoying after 3 years.

Life's allready full of unsolved questions ... I'd like to see some answered when watching TV.
    Can you feel the LOVE

3. Lounge   -   #43
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    What if the answers aren't the ones you're looking for?
    Is the entire series shit then?

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Nope ... but the least I expect is to get an answer ... instead of just a bunch more (unanswered) questions.

I get the impression they think the average attention span of the Lost-audience is about as long as a grown-up rabbit, and they just forget what happened in the previous episode(s), so there's no need to solve the questions posed in earlier shows.
    Can you feel the LOVE

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    You should download some series' of University Challenge. Every question on that gets answered almost immediately

6. Lounge   -   #46
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Where to begin?

Lost is a revolution in televisual storytelling. I'll get the 'answers' out of the way first. The viewer is constantly barraged by a series of key mystery elements which fuel the intrigue and drive the plot inexorably forwards. Think of those Russian dolls within dolls of even a fractal pattern widening outwards to reveal the enormity of the narrative. If you're looking for glib, self-contained popcornesque pish, then go watch Prison Break. The very core of Lost is the tantalus of not knowing what's coming next. To produce the argument that we're not getting any answers (which is simply not true, btw) is to completely miss the artistic ethos of the show. All the answers will come. Of this I am certain and to give them to us now would render the rest of the story redundant when the show strives from strength to strength.

More to follow.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    So it's a kind of modern Mork and Mindy.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    You should download some series' of University Challenge. Every question on that gets answered almost immediately

I've watched Lost since the being and I do agree that at one point(2nd season) it was evident that they had no idea where they wanted to take the series.The producers admit it themselves.So the did an unheard of thing for TV they requested that the network agree to setting an end date.
    That allowed the writers to start approaching it more like a novel or movie where they aren't just filling time but rather working towards a definite ending.
    Everything(mostly)has a point.You just have to look hard enough to find it.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Lost is a Tour De Force in experimental split-structure narrative. In this it is completely unique. It is told from multiple POV's and we perceive the action from a first-person perspective. We learn as the characters learn. On-island events are smash-cut with character flash-backs (well, up until the end of Season 3 anyway). These flash-backs widen the arc of the story to interconnect each disparate character in a cross-hatch style never before attempted in television. Each episode is laden with literary/filmic references which, while pertaining to that episode's theme, also provide a rich treasure trove for movie/literature geeks like myself. To take just 'The Numbers' as one example, they reoccur in the most inventive, mind-bogglingly latent ways. One is constantly on the look-out in the background for new, subtle employment of them. They are based on an actual exercise in mathematics dubbed The Valenzetti Equasion which produces a mathematical formula for the end of the world.

Yes, loads more to follow.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    Where to begin?

The viewer is constantly barraged by a series of key mystery elements which fuel the intrigue and drive the plot inexorably forwards. Think of those Russian dolls within dolls of even a fractal pattern widening outwards to reveal the enormity of the narrative.
    The very core of Lost is the tantalus of not knowing what's coming next. To produce the argument that we're not getting any answers (which is simply not true, btw) is to completely miss the artistic ethos of the show.
    First of all you make it sound as if this is some kind of highly intellectual show and I seem to be the one that's just not getting it.
    I'm sorry but Lost is meant to be popcornesque entertainment, or at least it was intended to be. Maybe you feel different about that but i think that is something you personally feel, and doesn't need to be so.

But apart from the fact that it migh or might not be intellectual, I am indeed referring to the fact that at some point in the series the writers didn't have a clue why, what, where, why it all was happening.
    Now maybe most of the viewers didn't notice that but I did (long before the writers officially admitted they didn't have a clue anymore).

Indeed there are some answers that are given, but the amount of new mysteries that pop-up was imho very frustrating at some point.
    Spoiler: Show

Spoiler: Show

All the answers will come. Of this I am certain and to give them to us now would render the rest of the story redundant when the show strives from strength to strength.
    I hope you are right but I don't think you are in a position to guarantee that fact, or you must be some guy that can put pressure on the writers/producers .

More to follow.
    Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Disme; 05-19-2008 at 12:55 PM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast